Hey guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dean4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thought I'd say hello, HELLO.
I wanted to join this community has I love fish, I have a nice pond in garden filled with, goldfish, shabunkins, koi carp, White carp, sturgeon. Ogon carp (ogon I think).

But anyway just waiting for my goldfish to spawn and waiting for the fun to begin.
Hope to speak with u guys soon and give and take advice from all.

Thanks bud.. Give or take round about 1.000 gallons but making a bigger one this year. Do u have a pond m8.

Thanks bud.. Give or take round about 1.000 gallons but making a bigger one this year. Do u have a pond m8.

That's definitely a good size pond.
No I don't unfortunately. My parents do though, and when I first moved to Oregon we stayed with my Mom & Dad. Their pond has a water fall and it was outside my bedroom window. I fell asleep to the sound of the falls and frogs, I loved it.
But alas, I'm a renter and my landlords would be a bit upset if I dug up their landscaping.
But if I ever own my own home, I'd love to have a pond.
For now I have 4 tanks.
A 10g with 5 baby Mbunas & a 55g with all different kinds of Mbunas and a 10g with 2 brand new dime size Platinum Veil-tail Angelfish. And a 55g with 1 Black Angel, 1 Koi Angel, 2 Scalare Angel.
I'm going to get a 75g for the Mbunas and a 90g for the Angels

Yep the best sound at night is definitely the sound of the pond, mine to is based in the garden out side my room.

Sound like u have a few nice set ups there it must keep u busy.

I must agree Ur landlord will not be best pleased, as soon as me and family move to a bigger house this year the 1st thing I'll be doing is digging so I fully understand how's patients u must be feeling lol, I just can't wait to crack on.

Yep the best sound at night is definitely the sound of the pond, mine to is based in the garden out side my room.

Sound like u have a few nice set ups there it must keep u busy.

I must agree Ur landlord will not be best pleased, as soon as me and family move to a bigger house this year the 1st thing I'll be doing is digging so I fully understand how's patients u must be feeling lol, I just can't wait to crack on.

It took awhile for me to get used to sleeping without that sound.

I love our fish and it would be a lot to handle if my grandson, Casey didn't help with all the work. Testing, PWC, everything that goes on he does with me. Which is way cool, since he's the whole reason we have fish to begin with.
Casey is 10 almost 11 now, but just before he turned 4 he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. So to help him we got a 10g tank. It worked so well we ended up with a 55g. But we wanted more than just Mbunas so we got another 55g. Then we got another 10g for another QT/Hosp tank.
The pH is so different between Mbunas and Angels that it's easier to have their own QT/Hosp. than it would be to change the pH every time.
Plus right now I have both baby Mbunas and baby Angels, I can't keep them together, so 2 10g tanks.
Any way Casey is just awesome with the help. Makes my life easier and much brighter.
Patients is something I've had acquire over the last 10 years. So I handle the, not yet things, much better than I used to.

Casey sound alot of fun and brings lot of joy to the family and fishes, sound like u have lots todo with all your tanks and baby fish so all help casey gets is appreciated haha.

Me and the kids have just done a 20% water change in our pond hoping my goldfish spawns they like getting stuck in and helping.

Casey sound alot of fun and brings lot of joy to the family and fishes, sound like u have lots todo with all your tanks and baby fish so all help casey gets is appreciated haha.

Me and the kids have just done a 20% water change in our pond hoping my goldfish spawns they like getting stuck in and helping.

When we started fish keeping I had no idea it would turn into a family hobby. I figured I'd do all the work while Casey & Megan, my daughter, would enjoy the benefits. But it turned out to be so much better.
Casey always helps, in fact he did a PWC by himself today for the first time. Well, I set the water temp. and put the Prime in. But he removed 20% of the water and then refilled it to the exact level it needed to be. No spills, no fish trauma, everything just right. I was so proud, not bad for 10 years old.
His Mom is disabled by a severe case of Fibromyalgia, but she does as much as she can to help.
Isn't it a little early (cold) yet, to start spawning? Maybe it's just here in Oregon, that it's still in the mid thirties at night.
I was just thinking, 20% of a 1000g is a **** load of water to change out. It's like my emptying 4 of my 55g tanks. THAT, is a LOT of work.
How old are your kids?

a pond with a sturgeon in it?!?! is that even legal?

Excellent wendi u av a real champ there, my kids, the youngest is 8 month boy then 3 year old lad, 6 year old girl then twins at 7 years 1 boy 1 girl.

But has u said it well could be a few weeks to soon to spawn but my goldfish is bursting and thought she might of spawned but when I did my water change yesterday I checked all the males for tubercle but none as yet so would be pointless if female did proceed now.

For the 20% water change it takes round 2-3 hours and use a very good carpet cleaner with a big drum and I also have a very handy drain beside the pond so it's all perfectly in place, then after I always add (please don't argue haha) aqualibrium salt that also keeps away infection and keeps fish stress free and maintains ph level.

@Alex I'm from the uk bud and it's perfectly legal to keep sturgeon in ponds but they do need alot of room, Infact I kinda have to delicate the pond for it by making sure it can swim all the round without it bumping into things and getting stuck as sturgeons are not great swimmers but ya it's all legal, I have aqua places that sells these fish for ponds, I was going to buy a sterlet the other they are the same as sturgeons but don't grow as big but they was kinda dying so they was not for sale.

ok,but ive heard of these guys(sturgeon)getting 1400lbs,so i doubt a 1000 gallon pond is big enough.

Yes, alex these fish can grow 7 ft and weigh a very good size, because these fish are fresh water living they can grow a very good size but u will only find a good sized fish as such a sturgeon in a big river with a current running many miles from the sea.

I think the fish is ok enough room I leave enough room for him or her to swim round I leave it plenty of room and depth as sturgeon are bottom feeders but useless swimmers.

I do have a big ish pond at the moment but Hopfully buying a bigger house this year so bigger house means bigger garden and for me that's means ? yep I'm sure u got it.

actually,in the wild,if left alone,can grow up too 20 feet in length. the only reason we dont see them that bigh today,is because overfishing caused them too become endangered,and they are much harder too find in the wild.imo,they arent meant for ponds,there too big.

I do fully understand what your saying but these fish are sold on a
weekly rate, and I believe me we have no rivers for miles so what I buy I belive I give the fish as much naturals and space as the fish would desire in a much natural world, I have many wonderfully fish but I have to take extra care of the basic swim fish but if I feel that 1 or any fish is in any danger by being to large or any water threats I will remove all fish and carry then beat interest of any means,, I don't just have a dug out pond with a air stone, I really love fish and look out for there best interest as I do my own kids health.
But if my sturgeon ever grew to big then I would have to build a bigger pond because releasing a fish as small as 2 inch to 60 inch in a wild river would not survive but for me bigger the better.

But please I fully understand what u are saying

yeah,i knew they could grow really big,b ut i googled it and checked a few sites,i suggest you sell it to a stugeon farm where make caviar.itll get a nice big habitat and will be cared for really well.

Excellent wendi u av a real champ there, my kids, the youngest is 8 month boy then 3 year old lad, 6 year old girl then twins at 7 years 1 boy 1 girl.

But has u said it well could be a few weeks to soon to spawn but my goldfish is bursting and thought she might of spawned but when I did my water change yesterday I checked all the males for tubercle but none as yet so would be pointless if female did proceed now.

For the 20% water change it takes round 2-3 hours and use a very good carpet cleaner with a big drum and I also have a very handy drain beside the pond so it's all perfectly in place, then after I always add (please don't argue haha) aqualibrium salt that also keeps away infection and keeps fish stress free and maintains ph level.

You seem to like children as much as you do fish. Are you planning on more kids along with the bigger house and bigger pond?
Don't worry, I won't argue about salt. I also use it with PWC,(y) I agree it helps. It's one of those things that some people swear by and other's will badger you about how bad it is :nono:.

I just avoid any threads that involve Aquarium salt. I won't be able to change their minds about it and I feel different about using salt than they do. It's not worth arguing about :taped:.
I learned a long time ago to pick my battles. Salt is a personal preference. Where PWC are a necessity, so doing enough of them I will fight for.
It sounds like you love and care well for your fish, so no arguments out of me, I promise.
I'm glad your gold fish haven't spawned yet. Although I've heard that Spring has Sprung in England :D.
Not so Lucky here in Oregon :bawl:.

Yeah it's red hot in England it's really nice, I was just a little worried about me goldfish she's really bursting but still no tubercles on males and don't think this weather will last.

Can I ask any 1 what plants are best for a guppie tank, I'm new to guppies just bought a nice tank but looking a little bit bland.
Cheers.

Welcome to AA Dean4!! Im a little jealous over your massive pond. We have a local sturgeon hatchery and release program. A River runs through our town, and each year the kids from all the schools get to go and release a baby sturgeon back into the river. Its awesome. All 3 of my children (13, 12, 10) have gotten to hold a baby sturegon and release it into the river :)

:) :) your gona love it here!

Hey tasha thank u.
I like the sound of this river u have going through your town and full of sturgeon that's really good, I guess these sturgeons grow around 6-7 ft excellent stuff.

I bet all the kids love to handle these fish as mush as sturgeons love humans at such a young age (4-5 inch) and plus they like there pointy nose being tickled such a great fish, would love to live near a fish farm with a nice size river.

Hey tasha thank u.
I like the sound of this river u have going through your town and full of sturgeon that's really good, I guess these sturgeons grow around 6-7 ft excellent stuff.

I bet all the kids love to handle these fish as mush as sturgeons love humans at such a young age (4-5 inch) and plus they like there pointy nose being tickled such a great fish, would love to live near a fish farm with a nice size river.

It is pretty cool. My son (10) just informed me that he hasnt got to do it yet, its the grade 5's??so next year for him... I know one year a girl in one of my daughters class was letting hers go and along came a seagull and grabed it out of the water, she was horrified, while others thaught it was funny, but I guess thats why its called the circle of life!!

Back
Top Bottom