Hey guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acacialad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New here this evening.
I have a nearly 500litre aquarium outside on my 2nd floor balcony. (I know it's heavy lol)
I also have started aquaponics on a small scale on top of said tank. However this sun now is insane and from cleaned to totally unable to see through the glass is 48hours!.
I get usually black containers are used for aquaponics but due to space and practicality I wish to enjoy my aquarium too.
Anyone had any experience with uv film? Does it help at all? Also what would you guys say are the fastest snails at devouring algae? I have some onion snails literally onion sized but only two and some small ramshorns but merely a few.
Again I'm new to online chat etc so please bare with me and I really appreciate any time spent assisting me??
Steve from Maidstone

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am not sure of the intensity of sunlight that you are receiving, but it sounds to me like you are getting "direct" sunlight. Yes, you may want to try some UV film or anything that will block or at least diffuse the light to a degree of not having an algae farm. I would try the side facing the sun first and see how that goes. As for snails, I'm really not sure. All snails eat algae to a degree.

Only thing I can add that I have some experience in is nerite snails. I have no knowledge on onion snails or any other big snails. But as with nerite snails very good algae eaters if you get the right ones. For some odd reason it does seem to matter which kind of nerite you get. I've had 4 different black racer nerites, all sat above the glass and pooped everywhere, hardly ever ate algae. Not sure what they ate to poop so much lol. Have 3 zebra nerites, all 3 crazy good algae eaters. Nonstop moving around watching them eat off glass. Olive nerites very good as well, the 3 I have non stop algae eating. Only have 1 tiger nerite to speak for but he does very good, one of my best algae eaters. Have 2 lightning bolt nerites and they are alright, but not as good as others. Have only 1 red racer to speak for but he does very good with algae eating. From my knowledge when trying to control algae with nerites you can put up to 1 snail per gallon. Might want to start off a little lower if you do go that route.

Welcome!!!

Mystery snails, Pomacea bridgesii are good cleaners, and will eat pretty much non stop. As well as bladder snails, Physella acuta are steam rollers.

Can you build / set up a couple sections of screens with the fabric used for pergolas, shade cloth, which can stand on the ground and you can add them / move them as the sun moves positions to help block the sun from hitting the glass. Similar things used for outdoor privacy screens like this with bamboo screen or the fabric.
https://www.wayfair.com/Bay-Isle-Ho...-L250-K~W001244116.html?refid=FR49-W001244116

And just saying that seems like a lot of weight!!! I hope that balcony is properly tied into the structure!

Back
Top Bottom