hey, im new here just want to see if im on track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murrayk123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started a 15 gallon sw tank about a month and a half ago. I cant seem to get the ammonia down to 0. It stays at .25 even after several pwc's and adding activate.

murrayk123 said:
Just started a 15 gallon sw tank about a month and a half ago. I cant seem to get the ammonia down to 0. It stays at .25 even after several pwc's and adding activate.

Whats all in your tank?

I have a clown, coral banded shrimp, 5 crabs, 4 snails.

murrayk123 said:
I have a clown, coral banded shrimp, 5 crabs, 4 snails.

Sometimes cycles do take 4-8 weeks various reasons give it another week or so id say no need to worry just yet how are nitrite and nitrate?

They are fine. I had taken my water to lfs and all tested fine when i got the clown and they said it was cycled, so just wasnt sure. when should i do another pwc, just did one yesterday 1 1/2 gal.

murrayk123 said:
They are fine. I had taken my water to lfs and all tested fine when i got the clown and they said it was cycled, so just wasnt sure. when should i do another pwc, just did one yesterday 1 1/2 gal.

So essentially you had just CUC in the tank before the clown? When the lfs told you it was cycled? Just wanna make sure im completely understanding before commenting

Actually the clown was my first add, other than 2 live rocks

huma-huma said:
So essentially you had just CUC in the tank before the clown? When the lfs told you it was cycled? Just wanna make sure im completely understanding before commenting

I did live rock during cycle, then clown, then snails and crabs and shrimp about a week after the clown

uh.oh... said:
How much are you feeding? And what kind of filtration do you have?

I have aqua clear 50 biological filter and 1/8th of a cube daily

murrayk123 said:
i just took the water to lfs bout once a week

Usually whike cycling you need to test daily to get a good grasp on exactly where youre at in the process. Being as to how you really only have one source of bioload, the fact that youre BB isnt converting the ammonia leads me to believe either 1) you never truly went through the cycle process or 2) youre unintentionally doing something thats wiping out the BB

huma-huma said:
Usually whike cycling you need to test daily to get a good grasp on exactly where youre at in the process. Being as to how you really only have one source of bioload, the fact that youre BB isnt converting the ammonia leads me to believe either 1) you never truly went through the cycle process or 2) youre unintentionally doing something thats wiping out the BB

What would u suggest?

Sniperhank said:
Get an API mater test kit and throw an uncooked shrimp in your tank. See what happens.

I have the test kit. Just put one raw shripm in there? For how long, and wont the crabs and coral shrimp eat it?

Sniperhank said:
Yes, they will. But there isn't a problem there. They'll be full and it'll provide an ammonia source to see what is going on in there.

how long after the shrimp goes in should i test the water?

I'd run daily tests. If ammonia is high and things aren't being converted quickly, you'll have to do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites from killing what you have in the tank.

Sniperhank said:
I'd run daily tests. If ammonia is high and things aren't being converted quickly, you'll have to do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites from killing what you have in the tank.

Thanks, ill try that and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom