Hey, you got a newbie here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

technosguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening
I’ve just joined aquarium advice few minutes ago. I’m a new to this hobby, I have 162 litres tank, purchased it 12 weeks ago, been cycling it since then, but I added a group of fishes at the third week, they’re a live till the current moment. I’m a chemist, I know a lot about water quality and nitrogen cycle, yet I know too little about fish’s health and diseases. And for that reason I joined here, perhaps I’ll find experienced people that can help me.

I’m 32 years old, living in the Middle East, and where I live they don’t know much about that hobby. So I’m really struggling to get the correct information from the pet shop’s guy. Actually his own fishes die quickly,, the same batch of fishes from which I took my fishes, they all died in his shop.

A couple of pearl gouramis, couple of sailfin mollies, couple of ballon mollies, a female guppy, and around 20 fry guppies.

I had a fancy veiltail goldfish, a couple of 3 spots gourami, but they are pretty active fish relative to others, so I gave them back to pet shop.

Welcome to the community.

Sounds like you have the hard part of getting good and healthy fish to start.

There is a good article in my signature from here and it covers many basics.

Additional things like, don't buy fish from a tank with unwell looking fish, with clamped fins, spots like salt, greyish patches on their backs, cottony growths on their mouths, hiding away from their conspecifics... Open wounds and concave bellies...

Otherwise, keeping their water similar temperature, err on the side of a tiny bit warmer than colder (maybe not really an issue where you live, other than if in air conditioning).

Acclimating the fish is sometimes useful. Knowing the water specs from the fish shop compared to your own water at home is really helpful. If your water is much different it can sometimes help the fish in the transition from store to home tank.

Welcome to the community.

Sounds like you have the hard part of getting good and healthy fish to start.

There is a good article in my signature from here and it covers many basics.

Additional things like, don't buy fish from a tank with unwell looking fish, with clamped fins, spots like salt, greyish patches on their backs, cottony growths on their mouths, hiding away from their conspecifics... Open wounds and concave bellies...

Otherwise, keeping their water similar temperature, err on the side of a tiny bit warmer than colder (maybe not really an issue where you live, other than if in air conditioning).

Acclimating the fish is sometimes useful. Knowing the water specs from the fish shop compared to your own water at home is really helpful. If your water is much different it can sometimes help the fish in the transition from store to home tank.

I think the reason of my problem was over feeding. I had guppy fries in my tank and I had to make sure there is enough food for them, so I fed 4 times a day. Fries weren’t able to consume all of the crushed flakes I poured in and it caused a terrible cloudy aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom