Hi & a couple ?'s!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. Same as another introduction i just read, got tired of googling all my questions on every random fish forum out there and decided to join one! So here i am!

A little intimidating b/c i'm new at the sport, but these posts seem friendly compared to some i've read. (y)

Anywho, i'm in Franklin, Tn and got an aquarium for my 3 boys for a valentines' day present and i freaking love my tank! (didn't think i would):dance: It was a neighbor's tank that he had had for a couple years and was over it, so i just took it over w/5 of his fish. So, no brand new tank--fully cycled and all of that, but i'm running into some problems as i add new fish.

I just had my first bought of ICH and lost 2 fish--they were my neighbors and the biggest in the tank (2 bleeding heart tetra's-probably 3 inches each). :nono: So i bought some medicine and moving forward.

Everyone seems ok except one of my neon tetra's has lost a little of his tail, but he is hiding out a lot which i'm taking as a good sign until he is back to normal.

The other odd ball thing is i just put in a new pot-bellied molly and she keeps scratching her body up one side of a decoration. It's freaking me out, b/c i don't want to lose any more fish. So i've been searching all over and trying to figure out what to do next.

Also if you want to know my water #'s, i don't have them. I just take my water into Petsmart and they tell me it's fine every time i go. I am thinking about investing in a test kit for home, but can't decide which one. Suggestions on that as well? Necessary?

But, back to the molly--what should i do? Is this velvet? Her body looks fine though. I've heard they all die from that. :confused:
What to do, what to do??

Thanks!
Reagan

Hi Reagan! and welcome to AA!

the people on here will be happy to help you out. as for a test kit - seems like everyone here uses API master test kit. you can get it online at amazon and it is probably the cheapest way to go - or buy it locally. definitely worth the purchase.

secondly - not sure about your sick fish... post a thread under the unhealthy fish section to get a better response. can you take a pic of your fish? does she have little white spots on her? you said that you thought you had ick in your tank. if that is the case she may have it as well. the scratching thing you are describing is a classic sign of ick. how long have you had the ick and how are you treating it exactly. recommended method on here is salt and high temps.

like I said post a thread in the sick fish section and we will get you taken care of!

good luck!

Welcome to the website!

If the fish is rubbing against decorations then the tank probably still has ich. :(

Scratching/flashing can indicate ich, velvet, infections, high ammonia or the fish is just ichy! How did you treat the ich? Did it look like grains if salt on the fish?
Ich can be cured by simply increasing the heat to 86-88F. Increasing aeration. Increasing water changes and gravel vacuums. Leave the temp high for at least 1 week after the last spot is seen.
I recommend the API freshwater master test kit.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

I used Rid-Ich and did the dosage for 4 days like the bottle said, but this fish (the scratchy one) i put in the tank after i finished the treatment. I've done water changes about every 2-3 days, which includes gravel vacuuming. I haven't noticed any visible ICH on my fish. The ones that had it cleared up. I did a water change today and added quick-cure (which i just got) just to be safe. So?

I also have one of those cheap pre-set heaters. I've ordered 2 from amazon that have both shown up broken. So i'm still in pursuit of finding a new heater.

Also working on getting the master test kit. :)

Gotta hate Ich

Dumping meds in at random can cause more harm than good. Make sure you get an API test kit for freshwater master kit, not test strips. Also go local and buy a heater with a thermostat on it so you can regulate the temp and you wont get a shattered one. Water changes are good but if you are doing them so frequently and not testing you can have all sorts of imbalances.

As far as the ich goes, once it is in the tank, it is in the tank. The best way to make sure your fish do not get Ich again is to maintain a healthy enviornment and healthy fish. If the fish are healthy then Ich will have a harder time finding a host, if it does attach the fish can fight it off.

Consider feeding your fish foods that have garlic in them to help maintain a healthy immune system. This should be done once or twice a week but not in large amounts.

Good luck

View attachment 83429

Here's a pic of the molly. He looks physically fine & acts fine, but just has the peculiar behavior of rubbing up against 1 decoration. Also when I bought him I took my water to the store to be tested & they said my water was good. Should I just keep watch for white spots & do frequent water changes?

Oh, read the ingredients in my food & it has garlic in it, but just a little I guess b/c it's an everyday flake (Aqueon large trop flakes).

Ordering the master test kit today and getting a local heater. Any rec. on a brand of heater?

Thanks!
Reagan

If the Mollys fine in every other way I wouldn't worry about it. Do keep an eye out for ich still. I'd recommend 50% water changes everyday until your test kit gets there.

Ok, just watched the fish for a bit and i saw two different mollies scratching their bodies against the same decoration. Now i'm worried something is wrong. Should i change the water and treat for ICH? I did a 30% water change yesterday. Did order my master test kit today btw.

Unless you see spots don't treat for ich. As I already said fish can scratch for many different reasons. Get a torch and shine it on the fish when the lights are off. If there is a gold or silver dust on them it's velvet. Don't mistake the natural color/shine of the fishes scales as this. I'm not suspecting velvet but better safe then sorry.

good idea with the flashlight. it's really hard for me to tell if it's velvet. i just moved my post over to the sick fish section. i guess i'll change the water once i get these kids in bed.

Back
Top Bottom