Hi everyone! I'm new on here :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

City Girl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm new on here. I love that there is a forum for fish lovers. I have 2 small fish aquariums and 1 fish bowl. I have gold fish, a male betta, a molly and a neon tetra. I live in Texas and am in my 30's. Looking forward to checking out the forum more. It looks very informative :)

Welcome to AA!! Goldfish need at least a 20G tank not just a fish bowl just a bad common info out there!! Sorry to be rude! What size are your other tanks? Should post pics we like em! Also who in the bowl I just guessed goldfish since they are alway or could be betta.

Hi. I am new to having fish as pets. Well I haven't had any since I was a kid. The betta is in a bowl (don't want to chance his or other fish safety). I have 4 goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium and the baby molly and neon are in a seperate 5 gallon aquarium.

City Girl said:
Hi. I am new to having fish as pets. Well I haven't had any since I was a kid. The betta is in a bowl (don't want to chance his or other fish safety). I have 4 goldfish in a 5 gallon aquarium and the baby molly and neon are in a seperate 5 gallon aquarium.

The betta needs at least 5G to be happy IMO goldfish get quite big and probably need bigger tank but as for Mollys + neons I think they are ok.

City Girl said:

Hi and welcome!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Here is some info for beginners. :)
I'm just going to point out some thing out for you. :)
Bettas are like any other tropical fish. They require a heated, cycled (refer to link) tank with a filter to thrive. The bare minimum is a2.5g tank but 5g is preferred.
Goldfish are messy creatures and require large, heavily filtered tanks. Pond fish (koi, commons, comets, shubunkin, most feeders) require large (125g+) tanks but ponds are more appropriate. Fancy goldfish require 20g for the first fish and 10g for each fish after that. So if you have 3 fancies you need a 40g tank. Because they are heavy waste producers they need filtration 10x the tanks volume. So a 40g tank needs 400g per hour of filtration.
Mollies require a 20g tank and neon tetras need schools of their own kind of 6+.

Okay. Thank you for letting me know. I did notice I have to replace the goldfish aquarium filter more often than the molly and neon's aquarium filter. I need to buy a larger aquarium for the goldfish first. Both aquariums have filters and a water bubbler (I forgot the correct name). I didn't know the betta needs an aquarium.

City Girl said:
Okay. Thank you for letting me know. I did notice I have to replace the goldfish aquarium filter more often than the molly and neon's aquarium filter. I need to buy a larger aquarium for the goldfish first. Both aquariums have filters and a water bubbler (I forgot the correct name). I didn't know the betta needs an aquarium.

That is why these forums are great so we can share important info like that. :)
Read up on the nitrogen cycle in the link above. It is your fishes life support system in the tank. Don't change filter media out because it houses the bacteria that consumes the ammonia your fish produce. Instead swish in a bucket of tank water during your weekly water change and pop back in the filter.
Can you post a picture of your goldfish? We can ID them for you and let you know the appropriate homes for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom