Hi fish freaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

londonlad_777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new here, and fairly new to fish keeping but feel i know some basics , got a settled comunity tank, with small fish. Have noticed a few fish scratching and felt i have maybe lapsed on the upkeep abit, did a test yesterday and all seemed ok:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20-30 max
Nitrite 0
PH low test 7.6+
PH high 7.8[does this seem high]

Its a low fairly low planted tank with a gravel sub, very much in need of a clean, although looks spotless until disturbed. Got some new plants on orderorder and not sure weather to not clean my gravel as im sure the new plants will benefit from the dirty gravel? And what about my water stats? Are these ok? Why are my fish scratching any clue in what i have said? Any help would be great thanks and hi....
Ps please excuse any spelling mistakes im typing this on my phone and the predictive text sometimes runs away with its self!!

londonlad_777 said:
Im new here, and fairly new to fish keeping but feel i know some basics , got a settled comunity tank, with small fish. Have noticed a few fish scratching and felt i have maybe lapsed on the upkeep abit, did a test yesterday and all seemed ok:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20-30 max
Nitrite 0
PH low test 7.6+
PH high 7.8[does this seem high]

Its a low fairly low planted tank with a gravel sub, very much in need of a clean, although looks spotless until disturbed. Got some new plants on orderorder and not sure weather to not clean my gravel as im sure the new plants will benefit from the dirty gravel? And what about my water stats? Are these ok? Why are my fish scratching any clue in what i have said? Any help would be great thanks and hi....
Ps please excuse any spelling mistakes im typing this on my phone and the predictive text sometimes runs away with its self!!

Hi and welcome!
7.8 I perfectly fine. That's what my tanks all sit at. :) your params look fine.
Do any of your fish have any little white spots that look like grains of salt?
How often are they flashing/scratching?
Sometimes fish flash but if it's too often you could have a problem.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome!
7.8 I perfectly fine. That's what my tanks all sit at. :) your params look fine.
Do any of your fish have any little white spots that look like grains of salt?
How often are they flashing/scratching?
Sometimes fish flash but if it's too often you could have a problem.

Ah beat me to it:p that's what I was getting at too

Thanks for replying ;-)
I don't see any marks on them at all and its not often they flash but what made me think i might have a outbreak of something was the fact that i have seen more then one do it within a hour!

londonlad_777 said:
Thanks for replying ;-)
I don't see any marks on them at all and its not often they flash but what made me think i might have a outbreak of something was the fact that i have seen more then one do it within a hour!

Sometimes fish just get itchy :) keep an eye on them and keep your water clean.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! A ph of 7.8 is perfectly fine and all the other levels are good as well. Out of curiosity, what kinds of fish do you keep?

Hi and thanks x i just have the usual suspects , few guppys few cherry barbs few neons and a flying fox. So what are all your thoughts on cleaning my gravel, good idea or bad? My new plants are on order and don't want to rob them of all nutrients by cleaning it???

Welcome!!

Welcome to AA! :welcome:
Do you use a gravel vac when you do water changes? If not I would, you could always use fertilizer tabs for your plants when you get them. I would not "neglect" (for a lack of a better word), your gravel for plants. Now I am not a live plant expert as all mine in my tank now are "fake":whistle: My step son has a few live Java Ferns that are doing great now and we clean 25% of the gravel with a vac every water change. You just have to be careful around them. But the rest of your parameters look good.

arcticfirefighter said:
Welcome to AA! :welcome:
Do you use a gravel vac when you do water changes? If not I would, you could always use fertilizer tabs for your plants when you get them. I would not "neglect" (for a lack of a better word), your gravel for plants. Now I am not a live plant expert as all mine in my tank now are "fake":whistle: My step son has a few live Java Ferns that are doing great now and we clean 25% of the gravel with a vac every water change. You just have to be careful around them. But the rest of your parameters look good.

Well i did buy a gravel cleaner for £23 but it was rubbish and really didn't work at all, so i took it back to shop and he refunded me after trying it himself and agreeing with me. If any 1 can advice me on which one to look out for or link me to one on ebay i will buy it. Thanks for your reply

Ok thanks, the one i had was battery operated, maybe why it wasn't any good. I think id prefer a battery one if any1 knows of a good one.

I have had 2 battery operated ones and they were horrible :banghead:. I did a bunch of research on "good" ones and could not find any that had good reviews. Most people have the same issues. The problem is that when you are cleaning the gravel it dumps the water right back into the tank unless you have the extra hose attachment. The filters are either to big and let material right back into your tank or the motors give out with a few weeks/months. The last one I ordered on the internet I used twice and the motor went out. I did not have the hose attachment and within 30 seconds of starting I could not even see what I was doing it the tank it was so cloudy. If you do decide to go with the battery one I would make sure you do some research before you spend the money. Let us know if you find one that really works well.

I know my dad had one which worked well, but i know rust set into it in the end, will have to ask him which make it was and how long he had it for.

Back
Top Bottom