Hi help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b57378

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is a small shrimp like thing in my tank.it has a tubular body with legs ( almost
Like a centipede) my fry are in that tank ,is the shrimp like thing harmful to them?(by the way I recently put plants growing in my pond into my tank.)Thanks.

It's probably a dragon fly larvae that got in your pond and is now in your tank. Please could you post a pic just to be sure what it is.

Sounds like a dragon or damsel fly nymph. Remove it and put back in the pond. There has been many found in tanks this last year or so. I had several in my tank last Spring even though I had not added any new plants for some time. They can eat small fry and shrimp. Better safe than sorry. You could also put it in a glass jar with a small airstone, change the water regularly, feed meaty fish food, and watch it change into an insect. Be sure to put a twig in the jar that reaches outside the water if you do. They climb out of the water to molt. Great science experience for kids.

Yes it is thank you,now my fry are big,two weeks old will they
Be fine?i found the nymph this morning and noticed that 1
Of 7 of my baby mollies were dead.

Sorry it's disappeared and not visible I the tank,

If they are hungry they will take down large fry. They are very good at hiding. They like to hide along the stems of plants and decor or under leaves. They can blend in and are hard to find. Bigger fish will eat them if they can. Maybe one of them did just that. Were there is one there are more. I found a total of 10 in my small tank.

Back
Top Bottom