Hi! I'm a new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rastafish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am Alis, from Wales, and I keep fish! I have a baby red cap oranda, a black moor and 3 others which I'm not sure of the species. :)

Hi Alis, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Welcome! What size tank(s) do you have? How long have you been keeping fish?

I'm pretty new to fish keeping, my dad likes fish and I've taken over the care of them. I have 5 fancy goldfish (1 black moor, 1 red cap oranda, and not sure of the breed of the others). I had them when they were really really small, and we didn't know anything about fish keeping, only have a 25 liter tall tank, and we never expected them to grow so incredibly fast! We have a strong filter and aeration and currently saving up for a much bigger 100-150 liter tank, which would solve so many problems. I have learnt so much in the last month I've had them, I've done an incredible amount of research, and observed them loads, and they are dirty, need a lot of space, and high maintenance, nothing like what I thought fish keeping would be. But I love them and would do anything to keep them as happy as possible, my next hurdle is to get them a suitable tank ASAP :)

Welcome. And you're correct about how messy they can be. In all seriousness a 100-150 liter tank is just not big enough for 5 goldies. Due to their potential size and waste they produce, you're much better off with something twice that size. Rule of thumb is 20 gallons (75 liters) for the first and 10 gallons (38 liters) for each additional fish. Good luck with things.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yeah. The various breeds of goldfish grow to be anywhere from eight to fourteen inches long. They are also known to live for upwards of 30 years. They're probably one of the worst varieties of fish a beginner keeper can get stuck with. I have one myself and I love him, but I doubt I will ever have a tank suitable for a fully grown goldfish, so I've already made plans to re-home him once he gets unmanageable. For five goldfish... Probably the smallest tank that could be considered healthy for them full grown is 90 gallons (340 liters). I saw one at my local aquarium store wintering in a 55 gallon and he absolutely dominated the thing. They're massive.

On the plus side, that little 6 gallon would make a wonderful betta tank, and any intermediary tanks will allow for other types of fish once the goldfish are gone from them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom