Hi!!! I'm a NOOB!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Name is Benji and I have a reef tank (55 Gallon) coral substrate, lots of live rock and some small things along with it.

Use to be a Small Predator Tank with a nice Lion Fish in it but...

Had an anenome die and kill everything about a year ago and am now reforming the tank.

*RE-GEARING AS WE TYPE THIS*

I have two double-wheel filters, 1 - can filter, Protein Skimmer and have a sump being built for me right now as we speak. I have never used a sump and did not know how important this was at first, so bare with me. :)

I currently have 1- Urchin, 1-Star Fish, "EVIL KILLER" Coral Banded Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Giant Turbo Snail and a whole lot of live rock with some pretty green purples and green algae growing on it.

I do not have the right type lighting for nice corals yet, but will fix that this weekend when I pick up the sump. I have only been using the standard lights that came with the tank when I purchased it and just found out about the nice lights. lol

Anyways...

Hello all....

I will post some pics after my new lights and sump are installed this weekend :)

Benji

Welcome to AA!

What kind of lighting are you looking at getting for your tank? A sump is a great addition to your system it allows you to get a lot of equipment out of your display and hiden. If you have the room in the sump a fuge will help you out a lot.

I'm not sure about the light at the moment.. Whatever is more affordable that will allow me to put some pretty corals in there. When i go to the fish store, they have all these blue lights and stuff..

Mine is just boring and regular florescent looking. And I also just found out about the heat from the lamps and how there may need to be some distance between the light and the top of the water.

I'm still new to this.

My father had a beautiful tank as I grew up and even aged with his fish and things in there. When I was 7, he got a small grouper, lion fish and trigger... haha.. I graduated from high school and they were still alive lol...

Anyway..

Tonight, I'm installing a new filter for more water-flow and cleaning my current filters.

Any idea on how often i should be doing water-changes now that I plan on adding corals soon?

Welcome to the site!
I would start posting under the SW section so you can get more specific questions answered there.

You've got a lot of reading to do and a bit of work to change your tank over for corals. Please post in the SW section and we'll get started. You miight want to check the articles section of this site for soem tips on sumps, fishless cycling, equipment needed and maybe even a primer on lights. There are many different types of corals, some demanding high lgiht and some low light, so deciding what you want to keep in advance is helpfull,

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom