Hi, I'm new!! 15gal FW Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!!

I'm a Graphic Designer/SAHM. I love my pets!! Can't have enough! So, we're giving an aquarium a-go! We've had a Betta for over a year and thought we'd get him a bigger, prettier tank. Come to find out, the tank we've been keeping him in is actually best. We plan to just get some hardy starter fish & go from there.

So, I filled up my new tank w/ decos, gravel & spring water, added conditioner & FW aquarium salt yesterday and the next day (today) my water is mildly cloudy green! HELP!!

May 3rd = Day #1

I uploaded comparison pics to my profile. Thks for your help in advance!!

First of all... Welcome to AA!
Second of all... aquariums are addicting :)
Third of all... you are probably experiencing an algae bloom. It is not hazardous. If it gets too bad (lots of green) then a black out may be required. But for the most part pwc should take care of it.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes, I figured out after a bit of research that it's an algae bloom. It's very similar to a green pool. I'd say it's pretty bad. I've already put the tank in the dark. There's no fish, THANK GOODNESS. So from experience w/ pools, I know the water will be very cloudy after algae dies. Then what? Let it settle to bottom & vac it out? Is there any filter tricks other than buying a diatomic filter?? Can I buy or make an insert that will help clear the water? Or please don't tell me I have to start over... But if I should, I will. I need to know what I should do to prevent this again. I just wonder if it's the Spring Water brand b/c this took ONE day. The tank is not in direct sunlight AT ALL. All new decos. I'm super disappointed, but thank goodness I'm patient & like to do things the right way.

No you don't need to start over. Algae blooms happen when there is some kind of imbalancement, ether that be light or ferts. It could also simply be because it is a new tank. I have only had one algae bloom but I will tell you what I did. I did a back out for 2-3 days (I covered the tank with a dark thick blanket). I also did lost of water changes, other than that it just took some time to go away. But I am sure there is better advice out there...

Thanks!! You know what... that's great advice! All's I found was that it'll take "several days" of black out. I'm going to have one very disappointed 7 year old that we have to keep the tank covered, THEN wait 4+ weeks for fish. I haven't told her we're doing a fish-less cycle b/c when we bought the tank, the LFS said that in 48hrs we can put in fish :eek:\

I know once I explain it to her, involve her in the testing & caring for the tank, she will be ok w/ it. It will actually be that much rewarding & a great learning experience for her! I'm excited!!

Back
Top Bottom