Hi.. New Here and doing lots of research..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oh Clueless 1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Edit: Opps I should have posted this in the newbie forum.

Hi...

I am doing research to set up a 38g FOWLR tank in the next couple months. I am going with a 4 or 5" DSB, no sump and no skimmer at first. Lighting: I am looking at starting out with a 2x55w PC retrofit kit and my husband is going to build me a canopy for the tank. At a later date pick up the second set of 2x55w's a skimmer and whatever else we will need to keep corals. I am also going with about 20 to 25 lbs of base rock and then 30lbs of LR from Gulf view.

With all that said... We are having a horrible time deciding on what fish we want to keep. Well here is the list of fish we are interested in so far... Obviously we can't keep them all but maybe someone can help us solidify things??

Thanks for listening....
I really like the B/W Chromis... This is a fish I would really like to keep, but I read they need to be kept in groups of atleast three?? I also like the coral beauty or the flame angel. I think the true or false percula's are so adorable and the only thing my husband wants to see incorporated is a Pearly jawfish. Oh and I also really like the Royal gramma.. All these fish are stunning and I just can't make up my mind. I figure I can only keep 4 maybe 5 fish tops. But I can't choose. What kind of combo could I go with??

Also inverts... I would like to get a brittle star, some shrimps, some snails etc etc.. The list seems a mile long.. I am curious if a brittle star would be ok for the fish we are thinking about and the future goals with the tank??

All the fish you listed would go together, but the damsels may be a bit agressive. I would make a priority list and add the top ones on your list. Once you tank is cycled I believe you can add a fish a week safely. I would recommend researching on quaritine tanks. Also use the calculator on this site to figure a safe fish load. You can find it on the home page right under the title banner. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom