Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
was there a brand name on the gravel/sand? It looks like it might contain a lot of quartz/minerals... Those are nice looking tanks!

I can't remember the brand name of the gravel and I've thrown the packaging away now.

Do you think the gravel might be disturbing the PH? I can change it out if needed.

I nearly brought a Biorb but I really liked the look of the Chi which swayed my decision! :0)

I don't see anything else that I think would be causing it. Don't rush to change it yet... let's get a few more opinions.

The other thing that could help... and would be a cheaper alternative than buying a filtration system--one of those britta filters or PUR filters that screws onto your sink. Again though, this is not a common problem, so I would like to see what some other folks say before you rush out to try anything drastic. You have to be very careful when screwing with pH and buffers...

Ok, thanks. Will continue with pwc's and testing daily for now and wait to see what others think!

I would just like to congratulate you on all that testing!

...and +1 for everything that fort384 just said. His advice is right on target.

Welcome to AA!

Chiming in a bit late, but let me see if I can be of help.

First, I don't know what your LFS's policy is, but if they'll accept returns maybe you could return the fish and let us get your tank cycled the easy way and work to figure out the pH problem. Just something to consider.

Now, onto your pH. That is unusual that your pH is so high. 8.5 out of the tap is even a bit strange, but it's manageable. I agree with fort, likely source is the substrate you chose. Do you think you could go on the website of the place you got it and identify exactly what it is you got? Some substrates come with some buffering built in, which can cause a slight increase in your pH, so that is entirely possible to be the cause.

The other thing it could be (very slight chance albeit) is that due to the presence of ammonia and nitrIte in your tank this can sometimes cause the pH test kit to read a little bit wacky too.

Thanks Neilan. That is a good idea/point about taking the fish back... it might be more prudent to do a fishless cycle with some ammonia while you try to sort this pH out.

Also agree that there is some kind of buffering in the substrate, either by design or by accident... since both the pH and KH are rising from the tap to the tank.

Anyone else have ideas? How about using some kind of mild filtration for PWCs, like britta or PUR? Reducing buffers should bring down the pH... but if the tank can stabilize at 8.5, would it even be necessary?

Ok, so I've been testing away again!! Results for today after a 50% water change yesterday:

Tank Liquid Test
PH 9
No2 0.8
No3 between 20/50
Ammonia between 0/0.6

Change water Liquid Test
PH 8.5
No2 0
No3 0
Ammonia 0

Tank Strip Test
PH 8
No2 1
No3 25
Carbonate 10

Change Water Strip Test
PH 7.6
No2 0
No3 10
Carbonate 10

Am I right in thinking that everything is moving in the right direction? Apart from the PH of course!

I've also tried to find the brand for the gravel but it's not on the shops website :0(

The cycle is progressing... still have too much nitrite and ammonia for comfort. You want these levels testing out at 0.25 or less.

As for the pH... it is still a problem... It might be worth changing substrates to something that is inert.

Back
Top Bottom