High Ammonia Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this and have three tanks - a 20 gallon with Echlids (6); a 30 gallon with 9 Echlids and a 45 gallon with approx 15 tropical mixed. For the past two week I have had very very high Ammonia readings. Did 75% water changes; added ammo lock to protect fish. Cleaned gravel and everything else suggested. Unable to reduce ammonia readings regardless of what I do. Should I use Prime? What can I do? All fish seem to be doing well - lots of movement, eating once a day well, no stress noted in any of them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Do you use liquid test kit or test strips?

2. Did you cycle the tank?

My money is on the tank is trying to cycle. Causing high ammonia levels to build up bacteria.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tanks have been cycled back in November. Using API Test Kit. All PH levels were good (7.6) range

What are Echlids

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long have the tanks been set up? What size are the fish? How long does it take them to eat their food? That would help in knowing how much of this is an initial cycling issue. What kind of filters wouldn't hurt either. If you just started the tanks three weeks ago and are putting a heavy load on the tanks, that would explain the ammonia.

If they've been running for a couple months, you've been slowly building the fish population and you suddenly have high ammonia levels for the first time that could be a bit more confusing.

The cichlids are small (so far). Tanks have been running since November although the third one has been running only a month. The cichlids take just seconds to eat; the asst tropical just about as fast with little, if any, not eaten. I use Whisper filers - larger than what is called for size of tank. All fish have been added slowly with no more than 3 at a time to any tank. The ammonia levels started to peak and stay there for past two weeks, prior to that have been 0

What is the stock in each tank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank 1 - 7 African Cichlids (20 gal)
Tank 2 - 10 African Cichlids (30 gal)
Tank 3 - 15 asst Tropical - Mollies, 4 Neons, 3 Torpedos (45 gal)

Tank 1 - 7 African Cichlids (20 gal)
Tank 2 - 10 African Cichlids (30 gal)
Tank 3 - 15 asst Tropical - Mollies, 4 Neons, 3 Torpedos (45 gal)

Im going to say tank 1 and 2 are over stocked unless these are Neolamprologus multifasciatus or some other small shell dweller. Most Africans need a 40b min. or larger for peacocks and haps. Also have you checked your tap for ammonia?

Tap water tested for ammonia - results were 0

For now the only thing you can do is water changes to try and keep the ammonia under .25 May have to add more filtration or re evaluate your stock.

Water changes appear not to help as I see it. Did a 75% water change on tank 1 on Thursday - after two hours the ammonia was still very high. Did another 50% water change this morning - 2 hours after, ammonia was still very high.

Can you provide more detail on the size and type of the stock? I know you said Africans but could you be more specific, maybe add pics? Also generally just one over sized tetra may not be sufficient depending on the size of those guys. I had 3 smaller mbuna in a 20 with good filtration and still had to do twice weekly 25% changes or one good 40% change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have exact numbers? 50% should cut the ammo in 1/2 unless something is producing it at an alarming rate IE-dead and rotting fish. Or the ammo test is bad.

Hmmm nope never thought or knew of that. Which part of the Whisper to you rinse? The filter itself or the wheels

Take the filter sponge itself and gently swish it in used tank water to remove the gunky build up, never use tap water as the chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria colony. Same with any decaying matter stuck to the actual plastic. There may well be more going on here but that is one thing to look into.

The Whisper filter system does not have a sponge - two parts inside is the charcoal bag and the plastic scrubber with 5 wheels on it.

The floss bag that the charcoal is encased in is what I was referring to as the sponge although that is somewhat of a misnomer. Clean the green gunky build up off any surfaces that contain it, that is typically your decomposing organic matter. Do so gently so as not to displace the good bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom