high ammonia with No2 of 0ppm and No3 of 5ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every tank is different. Since you are getting nitrites you can assume you are at least half way there. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and nitrite and nitrate will continue to rise. The nitrate is then brought down by your weekly water changes.

I'm finally down to virtually no ammonia levels but I'm still doing pwc daily because the nitrites are so high. Is that normal? The nitrate levels are coming along but theyre not considered high. They dont go above 40 with the daily pwc.

Perfectly normal. First ammonia spikes then the bacteria grow to consume it turning it to nitrite. So then nitrite spikes and the bacteria grow to consume it turning it to nitrate. Hang in there. Your doing well. :)

Finally cycled this week. About a week ago i checked everything and i still had high nitrites but was hetting higher nitrates as well. Checked it today and nitrites are zero. My nitrates are pretty low as well though. I havent done a pwc since i checked everything about a week ago. I started using the Prime to keep toxicity low and tried a culture/detox product called nite-out II not that long ago. Guess it did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom