High Ammonia.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 10 gallon with 2 Black tip sharks, and an African Peacock Cichlid...

It seems that, even after a 3 gallon waterchange, the ammonia is high, running around 8.0 ppm

I just tested my tap water, to make sure I was not introducing anything, and it tested 0 ppm.

Any suggestions on how to get this down?

I feed them twice a day, early in the morning, a bit of flake food... and in the early evening, usually brine shrimp, or blood worms...

I have observed them eating, and there is usually nothing left, but I syphon any extras out within 20 minutes...

Many Thanks

Dave

Have you tried using "Cycle" by Hagen, or ammonia-reducing packs in your filter? That's what I've done, and the levels went down.

One caveat: the ammonia-reducing filter medium may change the ammonia into the harmless form of ammonia (I think NH4), in which case the levels may not visibly go down in the test vials.

Also, do you have a filter with a biowheel? That's really a must nowadays. If you do, pour the "cycle" on the biowheel, so that the bacteria can grab on.

Oh, also... Do you use a gravel vac for syphoning out detritus from the bottom of the tank? If not, get one. It *really* helps get rid of excess fish waste and uneaten food. Get one of the smaller sizes (8-10 inches). When you get this decaying waste out of your tank, the ammonia levels should decrease.

Also, did you cycle your tank? Sounds like you might not have. I didn't for my first tank, and miraculously didn't lose any fish... Amazing! Hope you have the same results!

Holy cow....8 ppm ammonia?? That should have killed your fish, or at least cause them to show symptoms of ammonia poisoning...

Perchance are you using a water conditioned which claims to "remove ammonia" like Amquel or Ammolock? What they actually do is convert ammonia to a non-toxic form. Thing is, most ammonia tests can't tell the difference and just register "ammonia". If you are, it would explain why your registering high levels of ammonia but your fish are ok.

Many thanks for the reply.

I /sort/ of cycled the tank. About 3 weeks with a guppie (poop machine).

This particular tank does NOT have a bio-wheel, just a aquatech 5-15 power filter.

Since its a smaller tank, with 3 fish, I do about 5% w/c.. usually daily, at the latest, every other day.

Just took some more readings.

Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
GH: 75 ppm (Soft)
KH: 120 ppm
pH: 8.1

The current spec gravity is 1.008

Everything seems in order, except the ammonia.

Would adding some ACE (Ammonia/Chloramine Eliminator) to the water be benificial, or does it stand a chance of harming the kids?

Kinda hard to cycle a tank with a single guppy, especially if larger fish are going to be added (the amount of bacteria will grow to the amount of waste; bigger and more fish, more waste and the bacteria has to catch up).

I would up the water change size; 5% won't be enough. You didn't answer if your water conditioner is an ammonia converter/remover although I'm guessing yes. But even if the ammonia has been converted to a non-toxic form, the nitrites are ALSO deadly to fish, and you need to get them out of there as well. Yes, bigger water changes will slow down the cycle. Better to have healthy alive fish tho IMHO *grin* How much to change will be dictated by your test results; for example, with the results you've just given I'd do another 20- 30% change (which I know you just did). Fresh clean water is always a good thing. Once your tank does cycle tho, you won'y have to deal with daily changes...my 10g gets a water change once a week, and since its heavily planted I've been told even thats a lot.

Ahh. Sorry..

1: Its a sand bottom (about 1 1/2 inches deep)
2: I dont have a gravel vac (see #1)
3: I DO siphon the wastes and uneaten food out as often as I see them.

It wouldn't hurt to do around a 50% change right now, would it?

Hrm, Even after a 50% water change, the test is still showing 8 ppm ammonia. The test card says Freshwater Ammonia (NH3 / NH+4)

Is that the bad and the OK ammonias?

Ok. THAT'S weird. There should be some change if you did a 50% change! Even if it was temporary...I think your tank is possessed *grin*

What do you use to condition the water? Do you use anything? I'm still thinking thats part of the answer...

Hrmm. Aquasafe claims to detoxify ammonia, but doesn't say how. I'm guessing here, but I'll bet thats part of whats going on. Its probably converting the ammonia to a non-toxic form as mentioned before. The test you have most likely is a Nessler test, which can't tell the difference between toxic and non-toxic ammonia; you'd need a salicyte test for that. Also, the converted ammonia is not readily available for the nitrifying bacteria to eat, so it tends to slow the cycle down. I suggest grabbing a water sample and bringing it to a reputable lfs and ask them to test it with a salicyte test for you.

There was a brief post about Aquasafe on this forum last month: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=5993

Just ran some more tests.

Ammonia: 7.8 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm
GH: 75 ppm
KH: 180 ppm
pH: 8.1

I talked with an aquarium buff at work, and he suggest that I halt on the water changes, and use 1 tsp of Stress Zyme every other day for a week.

He thinks its the tank trying to cycle, and me killing the cycle with frequent water and filter changes.

Could the be the cause of my woes?

Many Thanks

He is correct that water changes slow down a cycle. Prob is, ammonia and nitrites are deadly to fish. Heh, whats the point of having a cycled tank if your fish have keeled over?

Aha! You hadn't mentioned changing the filters. Amazing what one lil bit of missing info can do *grin* I wouldn't change the filter; the bacteria will move in and it will become one of your main colonies of nitrifying bacteria. When you pull them out of an unfiltered tank, you're removing one of your main bacterial colonies. I would continue water changes tho.

ammonia

After a 50% water change and still no change in your ammonia, I would suspect the test kit! Check the expiry date and even if it is not expired have your LFS do a test you. The level should have gone down considerably. :?:

Back
Top Bottom