High nitate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guinness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I guys.

I have mega high nitrate levels in my tank. 80ppm . The tank is 300ltr or 66g I have just done a 75ltr water change and it has dropped down to 40ppm. When can I do another water change? Is it ok to do another one tomorrow?

Thanks.

Hello!

You can do one now if you like. NitrAtes only leave the aquarium through water changes so yes a PWC is needed. Remember your dechlorinator! Good luck :)

sounds like you either went a very long time with out water change , overstocked, or over feeding ....you might wanna figure out which one it is ... i have to do 2 50% water changes back to back on my moms 30 gallon glo fish tank cause she is severly over stocked and over feeds but she dont listen so all i can do is take care of them the best i can

What caused it I think is my substrate is sand and it was quite deep. I do regular PWC every week of 50ltr. Today I scooped out half the sand. I tested the water on Wednesday and it was fine.
Tonight it's high. That's all I can think of.

TotallyCoral said:
Hello!

You can do one now if you like. NitrAtes only leave the aquarium through water changes so yes a PWC is needed. Remember your dechlorinator! Good luck :)

Thanks.
If I do another PWC will it not have an effect on the natural Bactria that is needed?

not as long and you condition the water for the total ammount of your tank ...thats what i always do with my moms is take 50% out treat with prime add water , remove water and treat again and add water
everything stays fine

Snype2live said:
hmm you might not be getting all the food out of the sand got any corys to keep the sand clean

I have 2 dwarf lake syno's and a starry driftwood catfish, and a small juvie royal plec. They do a good job of picking up the scraps. Not that there is much lol.

if your worried with filters tho you could remove the bio sponge and filters and put aside in a bucket of tank water with areation if available this is what i do for my tank

hmm sounds like you got good cleaning idk why the sand would be raising nitrates ...this is why i dont have sand to many issues with it for me i just stick to super small pe gravel gives almost same look but easier to clean

Snype2live said:
not as long and you condition the water for the total ammount of your tank ...thats what i always do with my moms is take 50% out treat with prime add water , remove water and treat again and add water
everything stays fine

I use RO water so no need for
The chlorinator. I just re-mineralise it before putting it in.

Snype2live said:
oh well dang you got a much more high tech system then i do :)

I will swap you if your readings are better than mine at the mo lol.

It's all part of the excitement that comes with keeping fish. ;-)

Nope, as long as your filter parts are wet (or don't dry out) you should be good. Another PWC will have no negative impact on your beneficial bacteria and should lower the nitrates as well.

TotallyCoral said:
Nope, as long as your filter parts are wet (or don't dry out) you should be good. Another PWC will have no negative impact on your beneficial bacteria and should lower the nitrates as well.

I have left the filter running. I only have the one filter. So can't really turn it off. It's an Ehiem 2026 with the small bio balls in. One green gauze pad and one white like wool pad.

Snype2live said:
lol yup i had plenty of issues with my old 25 gallon tank

To be honest the tank has been running for about 16 months and this is the first problem I have had . Apart from white spot about 8 months ago.

well thats great lol i had so many cause i just got back into fish keeping and knew nothing of cycling but hundred hours of reseach have lead me to knowledge i got now

Back
Top Bottom