High nitrate question....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll have to agree with Greenmaster. Let your bio-load balance out.

Bio-load should not have much to balance out as I traded fish so I still have the same number of fish which is 5. The main reason I was wondering about uping the water changes was to vaccum out the crud the goby is stirring up and floating in the water column.

after looking at all the crap floating around in my water I still say the Turboflotor 1000 is a big part of my problem! I think I am in need of a Reef Octopus Extreme 200!!!!

Hey bavass Ive been reading this post and I think (with all due respect) you kinda need to chill for a bit. Nothing happens fast in SW. So quit looking at your tank for a few days and let things settle down. Your tank didnt get this way overnite and your not going to fix it over night, no matter how much "snake oil" you pour in it. Let the crap get circulated out, if its in your water column then that means it can and will eventually end up being filtered out.

Get a fluval 305 or the like and add some polishing pads. That will make your water clear as crystal. Its the only reason I use my Fluval 305 except for when I need to run some chemicals.

And yes, calm yourself! :) Its going to turn out just fine.

Matt

I had a XP2 on it and was a nitrate factory! That's was the first thing I got rid of. As far as leaving the tank alone. I am doing just that I stopped adding anything. All I am doing is 2 10g a week water changes a week for 3 or 4 weeks. This is week 2 and Nitrates are up to 10ppm. So I am thinking the next thing I am going to try is a skimmer.

Oh yea, these filters will become factories alright, but you just have to clean them often. I dont put the polishing pads in unless I need to suck out some junk. All it takes is a week before they clog. But it does make the water look nice. :)

Matt

Well a week ago after my phosban had been in reactor for 3 weeks I changed it out with Seachem SeaGel so hopefully that will clean it out some. Gonna change that out on Sunday after 2 weeks

...As far as leaving the tank alone. I am doing just that I stopped adding anything. ...

But you're not leaving it alone!

Well to help keep the sandbed stirred I traded my evil bicolor for a diamond gobie! My god at the stuff he has stirred up in the sand bed!

The idea of leaving things alone and just changing one thing at a time is so you can systematically figure out where your problem is.

I had to get rid of the bicolor he was killing my Chromis he has already killed 2 and was trying to kill a third. The LFS has not been able to get rid of there Diamond Gobies so they were will to give me an even trade. So I took it. The gobie should only benefit me

Weekly Test Results. Did a water change of 10g on Monday and will do another one Thursday

Nitrates 10ppm
Phosphates 0
DKH 8.6
Mag 1230
PH 8.3
Calcium 450
SG 1.023

872637593_UNpFR-M.jpg

872637597_NDREz-M.jpg

I know how he feels. I like to know EXACTLY what to expect, especially when dropping serious $$$. I am getting my major in electrical engineering and that sort of stuff WILL make you ANAL about details! This is how I first started off a year ago. I calmed down a bit and sure enough, things improved.

Bavass..Looking good. Everything is looking good. You just need to grab a beer and sit back. :-D Youll see, wait a month or two and youll see everything will be just fine so long as you take the advice from the pros here. I am pretty lazy with my tank (15% PWC ever 1.5-2weeks or so) and this in a small 20g. I just keep to strict feeding and RO/DI water. I need to step up the husbandry now that I have acroporas though...

Just wait, we will all be laughing about this 2 months from now while we look at your nice tank!

Matt

Should I worry about my magnesium and dkh levels running a little low?

They don't look low to me. You alkalinity looks fine and your magnesium may be a tad low, but nothing to do anything about, in my book. Rule of thumb for magnesium is it should be 3x your calcium level, which for 450 ppm calcium would be around 1350. When you figure in possible testing errors, you're not that far off.

I was asking because I know everything has its place and its all a balance. I am trying to sit back have a bourbon and chill. It is tuff to do. I feel I am so close yet so far! Thanks for the help I will keep updating hoping someone can use this thread later with the same problem! :)

OK kick me if you want to, LOL! I am sitting at work thinking of things I could do to help my tank be better. Onething I was thinking is I wonder if my rock is porous enough? I know a lot of people talk about how light there rock is mine is heavy as h*&%. I dont even remember what kind it is its been so long since I bought it. One of the things I was thinking of doing to better my tank eventually was adding rubble rock to the sump. I am wondering if I should just add/or replace some rock. I know that 50lbs of it is from www.petsolutions.com called Reef Rock. The other 50lbs I am not sure of. Sorry I am always reading and brainstorming about my tank. If you look at this pic from Nov thats 100-110lbs of rock

706812872_YX9AV-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom