High Nitrates in tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tap water is reading 20+ppm. My tank is brackish and I am thinking of buying a reverse osmosis filter but I don't know what I would have to add back in to the water. I also don't want large pH fluctuations.
I have a few plants. My specific gravity is 1.003. I plan on adding more Java moss but right now I have duck weed and water lettuce to help suck up nitrates.
pH is 7.6
0 ammonia
0 nitrites

I have 2 Indian dwarf mudskippers, 4 bumblebee gobies, 3 Indian glass fish and 2 red claw crabs. The crabs really help clean up the tank along with some nerites. I plan on getting a puffer but I want to get my nitrates down and other parameters corrected.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440047849.468435.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440047883.084663.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440047899.255262.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440047915.000594.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Neat tank! I would say dilluting the water 50/ 50 with ro would help you out a lot. You could even go with more ro water depending on your dkh. Whats the ph and dkh measurements on your water?

Don't know where you live, but you could collect rain water. Never done myself but have heard some have.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

API liquid test? Since the nitrate tests are rarely accurate, I don't like to rely on the included color card. I use distilled water and KNO3 to make reference solutions (there are instructions on the planted tank forum, it's very simple and easy). The API nitrate test I'm currently using reads about 20 ppm when the actual concentration is only 5 ppm. My previous kit was not quite as far off but still showed a higher-than-actual reading. I hope this helps.

Also, 20 ppm in tap water is in violation of the EPA limit, which is 10 ppm.

I live in philly. I am using API liquid test. My pH is 7.6 and I would like it just a tad higher. I will have to go get some distilled water to calibrate the test. I tested my tank and it was off the charts. The test looked like cranberry juice.
Can anyone recommend a RODI filter? What is the maintenance cost on one of those?

I live in philly. I am using API liquid test. My pH is 7.6 and I would like it just a tad higher. I will have to go get some distilled water to calibrate the test. I tested my tank and it was off the charts. The test looked like cranberry juice.
Can anyone recommend a RODI filter? What is the maintenance cost on one of those?

I would just recommend ro rather than ro/di. Its much more expensive to run the di than just the ro. You should be able to get something in the $50 - $100 range for just ro.

Ok retested it today and it's at about 10ppm but it was much worse last night. Maybe a random fluctuation?

No. Would the age of the home I live in matter?
I looked up the testing in my city and the highest recorded value was ~4ppm. I may bring my water to home depot to be tested.

No. The water treatment plant is doing something very very bad. They know they are probably and so cannot admit it. They will try to blow you off. The EPA may very well too. If I was you i would call the TV news. You must embarrass them into it. Defiantly don't let your family drink it. Showers are ok. Buy bottle water for now.

I looked up the testing in my city and the highest recorded value was ~4ppm. I may bring my water to home depot to be tested.

A lab water test will tell you for sure. When on the hobby farm we used to get the well water tested every so often in case there was a problem. Bit expensive (here anyways) but peace of mind. Although the test here was probably more expensive as it covered bacteria as well.

Back
Top Bottom