High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big John

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have had my tank up and running for 2 around 18 months now with no problems, it's a 55G tank with 2 external filters running a 1000 ltrs p/h each. It currently has around 15 Malawi in with 10 of them being only an inch long. I do a 40% w/c every five days which has always been fine but have just noticed them all flashing so I did a water change then an hour later checked the parameters and the nitrates are through the roof. Nitrites and ammonia are zero. The only thing different is that 2 weeks ago I added a bag of purigen to the filter, have I some how started the tank cycling again?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

check your tap water it may be high in nitrates especially if you live near farms
did you check for a dead fish

There's no dead fish I've done a head count and I will check the tap water although it's never been a problem before thanks

I would check the tap water and if it isn't the tap water, do another water change. Do you have real plants? ( I had my nitrates increase suddenly once when my plants were rotting or had a lot of dead material on them).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to check the nitrates in tap and no plants, I haven't had plants in for over 12 months

The tube on the left is straight out of the tap the tube on the right is out of tank so it looks like the tap water is to blame so what now, do I have to buy my water in. It has never been a problem before

Attachments

• 1413223080183.jpg
    1413223080183.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 75
First, make sure you test kit is accurate either by comparing against a different kind or taking to your LFS to be tested.

If it is accurate than the best two options are either to buy your water or setup a RODI system.

Thankyou I will do that. My fish are flashing like mad it's a nightmare

If you are on city water I would call them. The maximum allowed by the epa is 10 ppm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm in the UK

Also try and set out a sample of the tap water overnight, helps the gases settle and can change the readings

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've looked into legal limits in uk and unfortunately it's a lot higher than over in the USA our limit is 50ppm. I've ended up putting some nitrtate minus in while I work out what to do next

Back
Top Bottom