High Nitrite levels in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWAPS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a first timer and setting the tank for my two daughters.

My tank situation is similar to Madi and I appreciate reply from Nilanh on Madi's query.It has helped me as well and boosted my moral to hang on for the nitrite levels to come down.

One major difference is that I had introduced some fish who did not survive and the episode of water change is still on for the nitrite levels to come down.

I have three live plants who do not look healthy as they were when introduced.

Could anyone advise how should I go about and control the high nitrite levels and shall I remove the unhealthy live plants.
:sad:

Just hang in there. Nature has to takes its course to establish the nitrogen cycle.

I suppose you are now fishless cycling?

If not, read this link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Sorry to hear your fish didn't survive, but cycling takes patience.

As for the plants, we'd have to know what kind they are and what kind of light system you have before anyone can give you good advice.

If you don't have fish in the tank, just leave the nitrites alone. Go to Ace Hardware or Walmart and get some pure ammonia. Surfactants seem to be ok as long as the bottle doesn't foam when shaken. Read the fishless cycling link and follow the directions.

Chances are your lighting is inadequate for the plants. What kind of light are you running and for how long each day?

Back
Top Bottom