High Nitrite/Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campeaux

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

This is my first tank set up so pardon my ignorance. I did a fishless cycle and all of that jazz, and have had fish in my tank for nearly a month now and have not had any problems with the water.

I tested the water yesterday and noticed that the nitrite/nitrate levels are extremely high, however the fish seem to be fine.

As the water level goes down I have been pouring in some distilled water to top the tank off. I realized today that I have not been treating the water with any conditioner. Yesterday I poured some conditioner in the water and I am hoping that it does the trick and balances out the nitrite/nitrate.

I also realized that I have been overfeeding the fish and from what I understand this could cause an imbalance in the nitrite/nitrate..?

I am trying to avoid doing a big water change and am hoping that the conditioner balances out the water.

Should I give it a couple days then test it again to see if its getting better? I'm trying to avoid putting chemicals and everything in the water because I want to take more of a natural approach.

Note: I tested the nitrite yesterday and today and it seems to be going down slightly since yesterdays testing.

Attached is an image of the test.

Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• photo-18.JPG
    photo-18.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 87
Although it is enjoyable to feed your fish and then watch them eat, and then feed them again and watch them eat again, it isn't good for them.

Add conditioner to tap water before pouring it into the tank, after gravel vacuuming. Water changes are inconvenient, but necessary.

Hi there :) Welcome. I'm going to do my best to help you out here. I think that a lot of my recommendations are not what you want to hear, but it looks like you're starting kind of from scratch and I want to help you and your fish be as happy and healthy as possible.

Hello everyone,

This is my first tank set up so pardon my ignorance. I did a fishless cycle and all of that jazz, and have had fish in my tank for nearly a month now and have not had any problems with the water.
When you say "fishless cycle", do you mean you added ammonia to build the bio filter? Or do you just mean that you had the tank running?

I tested the water yesterday and noticed that the nitrite/nitrate levels are extremely high, however the fish seem to be fine.
With nitrItes, this indicates that your tank is not cycled. I would greatly worry about that level of nitrites for long-term health, whether or not your fish seem ok.

NitrAtes are ONLY removed by water changes. There is nothing that takes these out of your water except by removing the water. Once your tank is cycled (no ammonia or nitrite), 50% water changes per week are the recommendation. This is the only way that nitrAtes are removed, otherwise they just keep accumulating.

As the water level goes down I have been pouring in some distilled water to top the tank off. I realized today that I have not been treating the water with any conditioner. Yesterday I poured some conditioner in the water and I am hoping that it does the trick and balances out the nitrite/nitrate.
Distilled water is actually not good for your fish, unless you specifically have VERY hard water that needs softening. Conditioned tap water is the normal thing to put in your tank.
If you've been putting in distilled water without conditioner, that doesn't hurt anything. Distilled water has nothing in it, good or bad (the lack of good is why it's not good for your fish)

Water conditioner does not do anything to your nitrite and nitrate levels. It will not make those things go away. Only water changes will make them go away. Eventually your tank will be cycled and you will have no nitrites, just nitrAtes. Only water changes will remove your nitrAtes.

I also realized that I have been overfeeding the fish and from what I understand this could cause an imbalance in the nitrite/nitrate..?
I will say "yes?" but only indirectly... not directly. But yes, overfeeding is bad.

I am trying to avoid doing a big water change and am hoping that the conditioner balances out the water.
Whether or not your fish seem affected, your level of nitrite (and nitrate) is extremely dangerous to your fish in the long term. For your fish's safety, you need to do a 50% water change immediately and every day until your nitrites are .5 or less. Then you need to maintain your nitrites at this level.
When your tank is cycled you will not have nitrItes anymore, and then you'll be able to do water changes weekly.

Should I give it a couple days then test it again to see if its getting better? I'm trying to avoid putting chemicals and everything in the water because I want to take more of a natural approach.
Nothing that you can add will make it better. Only water changes will make it better. Get started as soon as feasibly possible.
Note: I tested the nitrite yesterday and today and it seems to be going down slightly since yesterdays testing.

Attached is an image of the test.

Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.
To recap:
50% Water change right away
50% Water changes every day until nitrItes .5
Don't let them get above .5 again
Once your tank is cycled (no ammonia OR nitrites), 50% water change weekly, OR whatever will keep your tank under 20ppm NitrAtes ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:
Best advice ever above! Despite your best intentions good old fashioned tank maintainance is in order .. Water changes are you best friend;)

Thank you for the recommendations. I will be doing a 50% eater change with tap water tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom