High NO3 Levels. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Idk how my nitrates are getting so high. i did a test today and from yellow to red (red being the highest) it showed up as red. I've done 4 20% water changes in the past 5 days. my fish aren't really eating that much. is it because of my DIY co2 system or what? i can't figure it out.

High NO3 is an indication of high bioload. How heavily is your tank stocked? I have no qualms about suggesting 50% daily pwcs until nitrates are reduced.

As far as your DIY CO2 system, it would help to know pH and KH so we can determine approximate CO2 percentage in your water.

i tested all 3 of my tanks and they all are sky high!! what should i do, i know its the tap water because i tested that and that just as high as any of the tanks.

Before you find an alternative water source, check the validity of your test kit. Many pet shops will test your water. Are you using the little test strips? (these can be inaccurate.)

I agree to get a second opinion on your test. Also like Brian suggested, daily pwc's of 50% are certainly a good idea. And they won't harm your fish a bit, if anything, your fish will love you for it!

In rural areas, it's entirely possible to have nitrates in your tap water. Especially if there's alot of farming as fertilizers do find their way into the ground water.

Fish will usually adapt to NO3 somewhere below 40ppm. So, I wouldn't worry too much unless it's approaching that range. The general rule is if you can drink your water, it's safe for fish. If you're adding CO2, you really need to know the KH and GH of your tap water.

One thing I would do is request a chemical analysis from your water company. If you're water comes from a private well, it's a good idea to have this done independently. JMO

Make sure your testkit is good. You need a quality, liquid reagent test kit, such as offered by Aquarium Pharmicueticals , Online for about $15. It must be for freshwater only! A nitrate test is highly effected by chloride, so that if you use a SW nitrate test on FW, your level is reported at least twice as high. Then repeat your tank and tap tests, and compare to your local water report, if available.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom