High PH and Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I spoke yesterday with somebody that sells aquarium plants. He was saying that most aquarium plants will die at a PH of 8.0. Is that true? He was recommending that I try to lower my PH with Seachem's Neutral Regulator. He was saying that even anubias can only just barely tolerate 8.0 PH.

Anybody out there with a PH of 8.0 or +? What kinds of plants are you able to grow?

Does anybody use SeaChem Neutral Regulator?

From what I've read on the forums, most people say that if the PH is steady, fish will adapt and that chemicals do more harm than good, but what about plants?

Yep that is right about the chemicals sounds like the person was trying to sell it to you for the money lots of LFS like that!

Thanks.

What is your PH and what plants do you have?

The ph of my tanks sits @8 and I have anubias, ferns, pennywort, swords, tiger lotus, wisteria, bacopa, camboda, etc. No co2 but I dose excel & ferts 2x a week. Everything grows decently but the wisteria grows like crazy! And, I have goldfish! I am by no means a plant expert but as long as everything is growing, I am happy! Perhaps, there are more demanding or exotic plants that will not fair as well in a higher ph but I have no experience with these. :)

Thanks jlk! Your response gives me confidence. It sounds like you have a lot of variety in your tank. I was afraid I'd be limited to just anubias.

The only things that have never grown & died within a few weeks were anacharis & hornwort. It may have to do with the excel or the fact I got them from petco- I honestly dont know! I doubt it was a ph issue though! :)

High pH and Aquatic Plant

Hello anne...

Plants prefer a low pH, but most will adapt to most public water supplies. I'd do a little research and see what's available that will tolerate hard, basic water. Most of the Amazon swords aren't particular about water properties and I believe the varieties of Cryptocoryne are the same. Good lighting is the main thing for success with most aquatic plants.

B

Some plants do need low pH, but none that you'll generally see at a LFS. Don't be deterred by pH issues, it's even less of an issue to plants than it is to fish by a significant margin.

Also, I had a tank at pH 8+ with crypts and wisteria going bananas.

Thanks Aqua Chem.

I did try wisteria twice from petco or petsmart-they didn't do too well. I will try crypts though-I've heard good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom