High PH problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a relatively new tank (not cycled yet) and my PH was a usually consistent 7-2-7.4. I did a test today and it was 7.8 and I did a retest, and I got 7.8. Is there a reason my PH is so high? I have well water, I don’t know the exact hardness, but the water is decently hard. We just got new salt for our water softener too. Idk if this would have anything to do with it.

Ammonia 0.5 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM
GH- unknown

Water Chemistry

I have a relatively new tank (not cycled yet) and my PH was a usually consistent 7-2-7.4. I did a test today and it was 7.8 and I did a retest, and I got 7.8. Is there a reason my PH is so high? I have well water, I don’t know the exact hardness, but the water is decently hard. We just got new salt for our water softener too. Idk if this would have anything to do with it.

Ammonia 0.5 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM
GH- unknown

Hello Jar...

As long as you're keeping fish from the local pet store and not rare species, you don't need to worry about the water chemistry. It just needs to remain steady. You do that through large, weekly water changes. I would add some floating plants like Water lettuce, Hornwort or Water sprite to help keep the water chemistry consistent. That's it. Just acclimate the fish properly and they'll adapt to the water. Once the tank has been cycled, just change most of the water every week.

B

Back
Top Bottom