High pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstricklen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 75-gallon community tank is cycling now. It's my first try at keeping fish. So far I have three Buenos Aires Tetras as starters and three little Bala "Sharks." My question is about the pH. My tap water is 8.2 and I have done nothing to adjust it. I have heard it's better to have it too high than to play with it and risk sudden changes. But 8.2 seems pretty high, considering that the fish I want to keep seem to like 7-7.5.

Am I doing the right thing by leaving the pH alone? The other fish I plan to add are Clown Loach, Rainbow Shark, a Pleco or maybe a Pictus Cat.

Thanks for your help. --Charlie

You can bring down the pH a bit with aquarium salt and a piece of driftwood. I've heard it'll come down some naturally too in an established tank. Mine was about 7.5 before the salt and I didn't have any problems.

I have a pleco and a ret tail shark in there, among other fish, and haven't seen any problems. Just make sure if you lower it that you keep it stable at that level when you do changes!

You can add driftwood as Thaiboxer suggested. You might, although it is some trouble, mix RO/DI water with your tap water to lower the pH some. Your fish may acclimate to the high pH although it is a bit out of the normal range for tetras. The pleco will be very happy in it as they come from alkaline waters.
The biggest problem will be when you want to add new fish. You'll be taking them out of probably 7.0 water at the LFS and trying to acclimate them to the higher pH. 7.0 to 8.2 is quite a jump and you may have some lossed due to osmotic shock. I always suggest this to everyone who has a high pH tank...have you thought about doing an African Cichlid tank? They are right at home in this type water and, IMO, are some of the most beautiful fish available in FW. They are also pretty tough. A 75 is large enough for a nice community of Af Cichlids. Just a though :mrgreen: .
I wouldn't recommend using a pH lowering additive as you are likely to get the yo-yo effect with pH going up and down. This is harder on the fish than the high pH and will likely kill them.
Logan J

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have placed a nice piece of driftwood in my tank that I had intended to use anyway...didn't know it would help my pH problem.

The African Cichlid tank is a great idea for these conditions, loganj. They're some of my favorites, but they'll have to wait until my next tank setup. I'm stuck on these sharks right now.

Very good point about the difference in pH between the LFS and their customers' tanks. Fortunately, in this case it won't be a problem. The LFS I have chosen as my favorite leaves the local pH alone for that very reason. So, actually, lowering my pH will present that problem.

I'm leaning toward not fooling with it at all.

seeing as you are new to fishkeeping, i would advise against trying to alter your pH at this point...often water will soon go back or near to it's original conditions---read up on chemistry and pH, buffers and so on before trying to maintain a tank at a pH that's not real near what you have to start with---your fish will love you for it! :p

I'm actually concidering putting a shark in our Mbuna tank, I put a SAE in there with them 4 days ago and he is still doing fine seems that the Algae eater is very aware of the Cichlids and seems to be very smart around them, thats why I think a shark would be okay. Not sure yet if i'm going to do so.
One thing if you decide to put Cichlids in your tank is, if you want to keep your tetras you might want to put them in a diffferent tank as the Cichlids will rip them apart in no time for lunch. Good luck,

Another thing that will soften your water is peat in your filter.

Chris.

As a possible suggestion, you may want to use a chemical such as stress zyme (spelling might not be right). It helps build the "healthy" bacteria levels in your tank, and it might help you cycle your tank faster/ keep your fish healthy from ick, etc...
just a suggestion!
FishFreund86

Back
Top Bottom