High tank temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys!

I'm having a problem that I'd never thought I'd have in the UK.

One of my tanks will not cool down!

The temp sits at 27-28°C morning and night, I've tried taking the hood off but my cats then thought it was a filtered water bowl -_-

It's not currently stocked as I need to know if the high temps will cause issues with the fish?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

:thanks:

It depends on the stock you're planning. I have tropical fish & the tanks run 78-82F, the heaters are set to 78F but with the tank light on & the hot weather the temp can go up to 82F. Its not an issue for my fish.

That's in the 80-82 degree Fahrenheit range (conversion) it should be fine for most tropicals. If you're too worried, unplug the heater and shorten your lighting time. Make sure the tank isn't getting direct sunlight which can also heat the water.

If it becomes warmer due to summer weather, you can use clean plastic bottles filled with water that have been frozen solid to cool the water temp. They will float in the tank and cool it off.

That's in the 80-82 degree Fahrenheit range (conversion) it should be fine for most tropicals. If you're too worried, unplug the heater and shorten your lighting time. Make sure the tank isn't getting direct sunlight which can also heat the water.

If it becomes warmer due to summer weather, you can use clean plastic bottles filled with water that have been frozen solid to cool the water temp. They will float in the tank and cool it off.

I don't have the heater plugged it right now as the tank is too warm without it.

I barely have the lights on as I'm rarely home ATM, and it sits in a cubby tucked away from direct sunlight.

The frozen bottle idea is a good one, ill has to try that!

I have a similar issue. My tanks are unheated and stay in the 78-82 range. Even my fancy goldfish 55 gallon stays in the high 70s. It doesn't seem to bother them and the water still feels cool to the touch. I keep my place a pretty steady 72 degrees too.

I have a similar issue. My tanks are unheated and stay in the 78-82 range. Even my fancy goldfish 55 gallon stays in the high 70s. It doesn't seem to bother them and the water still feels cool to the touch. I keep my place a pretty steady 72 degrees too.

So you don't have any issues?

Just seeing what stock would be best given the temps.

So you don't have any issues?

Just seeing what stock would be best given the temps.

I was under the impression that the goldie tank needed to be in the high 60s or low 70s but it's been high 70s for months and if it bothers them they don't let on. I do keep plenty of aeration in the tank though since I heard that warmer water doesn't hold O2 as well as coldwater.

I was under the impression that the goldie tank needed to be in the high 60s or low 70s but it's been high 70s for months and if it bothers them they don't let on. I do keep plenty of aeration in the tank though since I heard that warmer water doesn't hold O2 as well as coldwater.

Absolutely right, warmer water has much lower O2 levels than cooler water.

I'll stick my air pump on there when I get home.

I was planning on either RCS or a betta and some snails...

Have to see what's available near me.

I'm with Dragonfish71 about using the frozen water bottles. When I was living in the top level of an apartment in Las Vegas for a couple years i had to do that mid summer. When its over 115 outside its hard to keep it in the low 80s when you're on the top floor. Just keep a couple in rotation, pop one in the tank while the other is freezing, then swap em out as needed.
Another thing that I've heard works well is open the top and set up a fan to blow across the top. The evaporation cools it down apparently. Haven't tried it myself, but it could be worth a try as. (long as the cats don't like the fan)

Back
Top Bottom