High temperatures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

I believe I have a problem. I live in southern California and around this time it gets pretty hot (today was about 104 degrees) I came home from work and saw that the temp on my tank rose about 12 degrees. It's usually kept around 78 degrees. So naturally I'm worried, because come mid summer the temperature outside are usually from 110 to 120.

The tank is a 10 gallon.
1 betta
4 neon tetras
4 ghost shrimp.

Is there cause for worry? Should I get a cooling system? And if yes, please recommend some!

Chilliers are really expensive, unless you just want to get a couple clip on fans to blow the water around a bit.

Are you using a heater? If you are, I would unplug it for now if the temp doesn't shift too much during the night.

Chilliers are really expensive, unless you just want to get a couple clip on fans to blow the water around a bit.

Are you using a heater? If you are, I would unplug it for now if the temp doesn't shift too much during the night.

She has some good ideas with the fans. The only downside to this is that the fans cool down the tank, by speeding up the evaporation rate of the water, so you will just have to top off your tank a little more often. Also, you don't have to unplug your heater, just turn it down all the way or if it one of the ones that has a pre set temp, then it won't go on until it reaches below the temp, so it is fine to leave it in the tank. Also, since the tank is only 10 gallons, you can probably cool it down a good amount by putting in a Ziploc bag full of ice in the tank and let it float there for a little while, just make sure the water temperature doesn't change to rapidly.

Ah, thanks you two. I did see someone else mention the Ziploc thing, I'm just worried about shocking the fish. And it is the most inexpensive solution. Or I'll just spring for some clip on fans...

Also if you can leave the lid open & the tank lights off, that'll help some. I'm in SoCal as well but I have AC so my tanks only go from 78F to around 82F.

Yeah, that was gonna be my initial plan, but no one's home throughout the day so we turn the A/C off. We also had a power outtage yesterday... Ugh. I'll figure something out.

You must live close to me! I got home yesterday & my clocks were flashing & there's a planned power outage this coming Monday morning, UCK. I leave my AC on 78 when I'm not home, I don't like my house to get too hot.

Going by your location info, we're about over an hour away from each other. Coool. I'm in the valley. And dang. Either way, I managed to convince the fam to leave the A/C running at 80. Hopefully that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom