Save my snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenjibenji

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I recently started a freshwater aquarium hobby and so far it’s been great! I have a 10gallon tank with 3 tetras and 4 live plants. My neon tetras are getting big and healthy and my live plants have also been growing new leaves. Up until the past couple of days, my yellow mystery snail has been incredibly active and has already almost doubled in size since I got him a month and a half ago. I have not added any new fish/decorations in about 4-5 weeks.

2 days ago, i noticed that he had been sitting on one of the decorative rocks for quite some time. I placed some fish flakes in front of him and when I checked back on him it seemed like he had moved to eat them- so he definitely wasn’t dead. Yesterday, I saw him poop for the first time! He pooped A LOT. And saw more poop in his digestive tract behind his transparent shell. I figured that maybe he needs some rest during this process so i let him be. I checked the water levels and everything seemed normal. Nitrate/nitrite both 0, pH 7.5, KH 80, GH 60. Temperature is kept at 78-80°.

This morning I checked on him again and his body was completely under his shell (couldn’t see his head), but still suctioned on to the rock decoration. I did some reading online and decided to place him on his side (spiral side down) in case he needed some extra help to breathe. I also just did a 20% water change (which I do once a week). Other than that, I’m not sure what to do. Not even sure if this is anything I should worry about. It’s just very surprising when he has had great progress so far and usually slides around everywhere and now all of the sudden he does not move.

I was under the assumption that mystery snails are fine with just a diet of algae and leftover fish food; but just read further today that they may need supplemented blanched veggies too. Would this be why he may be sick? If that’s the case then I’m surprised it has taken this long to take effect.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, the best way to check if a snail is dead is to pick it up and smell it. If it smells like nothing its prolly alive but if he has a bad smell it's dead. Also your parameters make it sound like your tank is not cycled, judging by how there is 0 nitrate. What are your ammonia levels? Snails are fine in cycling tanks, and if they arent they will just climb out of the water, but the fish are not, especially if you are not treating your tank with a water conditioner.

If the tank is heavily planted, then it's possible to get a reading of zero or low nitrates. The liquid vials are more accurate than the strips

Back
Top Bottom