hippo tank getting aggrassive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2978tdp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 150 gallons saltwater tank with fish and live rocks. In the tank, I have 1 large unicorn tang, 1 hippo tang (large), 1 butterfly fish (large), 1 foxface (large), 2 clown fish, and 6 small yellowtail damselfish. These fishes have been in the tank years. They getting along with each other every well. Yesterday I decided to purchase a large Yellow Tang for the tank. I went through the acclamation procedure and placed the fish in the tank. it seems to be peaceful for few hours and all sudden the hippo tank and butterfly started getting aggressive and swing really fast and bullying the yellow tang. I observed for 30 minutes and still seen the chasing. I decide to turn off the light and seeing every one getting calm down. the yellow found his spot and staying there. This morning I turned on the light in the tank, just few minutes later, I saw the yellow tang fin split and tail torn off.

Please advise!

Thanks so much!

TP:banghead:

whenever adding new fish to a community already well established in the tank, you really should rescape it if at all possible.
That way all the fish, including the new arrival, will have to work out territories again.

doesn't always work, but it often does alleviate the relentless punishment metered out to the new guy.

Thanks for the advice. I will rescape the tank today and hopefully it works. Does the yellow tank fin and tail be grow out again?

Thanks

TP:)

Thanks for the advice. I will rescape the tank today and hopefully it works. Does the yellow tank fin and tail be grow out again?

Thanks

TP:)

as long as it is just fin tissue and not into the meat of his tail it should grow back.
watch for any secondary infections.

In my 160, I have a bunch of Tangs. They all get along now but when dealing with an "Aggressive Fish", take him out for 20 minutes or so and then put him back in.

It's kind of like hitting the reset button on the fish.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom