Hitch hiker starfish id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gboduszek

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently I noticed these little starfish in my tank. There are 2 different kinds in my tank it looks to me.

image-3239765152.jpg

image-645959318.jpg

The first looks like a brittle star of some sort to me and I've seen at least 5 or so in my tank. The second looks like a baby serpent. They are both about the size of a dime. I also have a harlequin serpent star about the size of a softball. Is it possible it spawned or something? Anyway any ID and whether they are a hazard to coral in any way would be great

They are mini brittle stars. They don't get much bigger than what you see and are good for the tank. No, they don't eat healthy coral, nor are they predatory.

They are mini brittle stars. They don't get much bigger than what you see and are good for the tank. No, they don't eat healthy coral, nor are they predatory.

Ya I was thinking the first pic was some type of brittle star that came along on my rocks but the second pic looked a lot more like a serpent ( I know the pic isn't that good) it had a blue center and white legs as you could probably tell.

The same goes for both of those little guys. Neither of the stars in the pictures will get much larger than you see there, and neither will harm your tank.

Back
Top Bottom