Hitchhiking duckweed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First planted tank and i hear horror stories and people who dont mind it...your thoughts?

So far i dont mind cause something is growing and i guess i wont mind having to scoop it out every so often.

How long to the roots or shoots grow from the surface?

First planted tank and i hear horror stories and people who dont mind it...your thoughts?

So far i dont mind cause something is growing and i guess i wont mind having to scoop it out every so often.

How long to the roots or shoots grow from the surface?

It's good if your looking for the look it gives.

The length of roots depends on the amount of light, size of tank, if co2 is included or not, and if fertilzers are included or not.

Duckweed is good if you need excess nutrients to be taken up at the water surface. In a dirted tank it's good to have some in order to help fight an initial algae outbreak and even absorb ammonia. Not sure of the extent that duckweed readily takes up ammonia, though. I know some other floaters do.

Once you have it, though, it's a pain to get rid of. You'll have to net and siphon it out almost entirely to eliminate it.

Oh ok...right now i dont have an abundance of excess nutrients like ammonia. How fast does it grow and spread? Id say i have like 20 full clovers...lol.

Also Marconis, can i grow dwarf hairgrass under 2 wpg and flourish comp? If so how should i dose the ferts and what for a photo period? The grass is the only plant i have thats questionable.

Ummm 6500k and 10000k. I have the catalina 3x54w fixture. Just running two right now cause i dont have CO2. Hope thats what you meant.

Back
Top Bottom