HOB filter recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my tank now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390636865451.jpg
    1390636865451.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48
Here is my tank now.

Glad to see it's working. Hey, your top fin looks just like the aqua-tech 30-60 I just retired and boy ...... did I have it "stuffed." What really made it work well was when I made a home-made pre-filter out of a big bunch of floss in a bio-bag.

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Pa...eampprefilter_zps8b68e613.jpg.html?sort=4&o=2

This made the water in the dirty water chamber relatively clean so I stuffed it with Matrix & Purigen. Then the water went through custom cut (it was a real pain due to odd shape of slots) on each side with 100 micron AquaticLife non woven polishing pads (1/12" thick) & the aqua-tech factory "Bio-Fiber." Those Fluval pads you are using look like they're doing about the same thing. Nice set up.

As to the Aqua-Clear bypass issue mentioned above, go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

I found even with holes duct taped to force all water to be filtered and adding sera wool (floss), the Aqua-Clear doesn't come close to the Fluval C (or even my aqua-tech set up) with 100 micron polishing pads for giving the water that special "edge." In other words .... to me there are degrees of crystal clear water. The AquaClear can get you there, it just doesn't put you over the edge so to speak.

Those Fluval polishing pads you have which I think are for canister are interesting. I'd be interested to know if they can be "cut to fit" or "stuffed to fit" inside AquaClear. If they can, maybe I'll keep my AC50 running and have a three filter system on my 38 gallon.

BTW: Nice job on your aqua-scape.

nice tank, I like the aquascape.
Paul1792, good points.
If it weren't for these forums and others having the same problem with the AC, I wouldn't have thought to use the floss. I probably would have returned the AC and ordered the C40. I know those who have the C series, love them. I can only comment on how I like my AC. Maybe I'll get another tank, with C series, and tell my wife it is for important research :D

nice tank, I like the aquascape.
Paul1792, good points.
If it weren't for these forums and others having the same problem with the AC, I wouldn't have thought to use the floss. I probably would have returned the AC and ordered the C40. I know those who have the C series, love them. I can only comment on how I like my AC. Maybe I'll get another tank, with C series, and tell my wife it is for important research :D
Yep, it's always important for aquarium addicts to have lots of excuses available at all times to buy another tank !!(y)

Like ........ well I need an extra set up for a quarantine tank ......... and for just a few bucks more .... might as well make it 29 gallons.

I just stuffed some polishing pads in to my TopFin60 but I also just dosed ferts(SeaChem Flourish) will the polishing pads filter out my ferts?
u6u9ejam.jpg
ygy2y3yn.jpg

I wouldn't worry if it they are just micro-fine polyester pads. Carbon might remove the ferts, not this stuff.
How is it working for you? I would think you'd have to clean it occasionally since it's so fine.

Those Fluval polishing pads you have which I think are for canister are interesting. I'd be interested to know if they can be "cut to fit" or "stuffed to fit" inside AquaClear. If they can, maybe I'll keep my AC50 running and have a three filter system on my 38 gallon.

BTW: Nice job on your aqua-scape.[/QUOTE]

I trimmed one and stuffed it in to an old AC200. I think I trimmed too much though because it gets a lot of bypass.
u4ubuzed.jpg
a8yba7yt.jpg

I wouldn't worry if it they are just micro-fine polyester pads. Carbon might remove the ferts, not this stuff.
How is it working for you? I would think you'd have to clean it occasionally since it's so fine.

I just put them in last night. Cant tell a huge difference in water clarity. After some research I notice alot of people sometimes run two HOBs. So I may just get the C3 for my 20 gal and add a C4 to my 55gal while Petsmart is having thier sale. If you spend $150 you get 30% off. Basically makes the C3 almost free.

I just put them in last night. Cant tell a huge difference in water clarity. After some research I notice alot of people sometimes run two HOBs. So I may just get the C3 for my 20 gal and add a C4 to my 55gal while Petsmart is having thier sale. If you spend $150 you get 30% off. Basically makes the C3 almost free.

thanks for the update on the pads in the aquaclear. I'll probably try that and keep running three filters. Good thing you can cut the flow down on AC's & Fluval C's so I don't have a rip current going in there.

thanks for the update on the pads in the aquaclear. I'll probably try that and keep running three filters. Good thing you can cut the flow down on AC's & Fluval C's so I don't have a rip current going in there.

I dont see where you can cut the flow down on this AC200? My top fin has a dial right on top. On the AC200 I don't see anything like that.

I dont see where you can cut the flow down on this AC200? My top fin has a dial right on top. On the AC200 I don't see anything like that.

OK ........ here's a view of the AC50 and C3 operating together side by side

Top View AC50 & Fluval C3 Photo by Paul1792 | Photobucket

Note the little "knob" that sticks up towards the back on the intake tubes of both units. That is the flow control which moves the intake tube from left to right.. I have a feeling when Hagen acquired AquaClear, they may have changed the design a bit to add flow control and renamed it "50" instead of "200" since the re-filtration process that starts working when you set it on a lower flow is patented.

So I'm joining in this pretty late, but I just wanted to point out that the Aquaclears need their motor cleaned out every so often. I always find this out the hard way, I do a WC then go to turn my filter back on and it doesn't start. Panic, then I remember it's been at least 8 months since I cleaned the little motor housing part. Clean it, plug the sucker back in and it runs like a dream and suddenly my water is sooooooo much clearer. If you don't have the instruction booklet the information on how to remove the motor I s easy to find online if you search for your model.

This is mainly in response to the opening post about your Aquaclear dying, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Sorry if this is off topic or has been already covered in this thread.

So I'm joining in this pretty late, but I just wanted to point out that the Aquaclears need their motor cleaned out every so often. I always find this out the hard way, I do a WC then go to turn my filter back on and it doesn't start. Panic, then I remember it's been at least 8 months since I cleaned the little motor housing part. Clean it, plug the sucker back in and it runs like a dream and suddenly my water is sooooooo much clearer. If you don't have the instruction booklet the information on how to remove the motor I s easy to find online if you search for your model.

This is mainly in response to the opening post about your Aquaclear dying, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Sorry if this is off topic or has been already covered in this thread.

No I didnt know that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom