HOB Filter to Refugium Conversion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I recently replaced my old AquaClear 50 HOB filter with a Fluval 305 canister. Yea, its way overkill, but I got a great deal for it on ebay. (I have a 20gallon tank).

Anyways, I dont know what to do with my AquaClear 50. I was wondering if I could still use this for something useful? Maybe I could remove all the filter material and put some macroalgea? I could turn the flow down a bit as well. Maybe a way to grow copepods in it?

Any ideas what to do with it? Its in great condition, and works well still.

Thanks,
Matt

I just went to a lfs in houston that had those filters on most of their nano tanks as refugiums. So there you go.

I have a AC50 on my 3Gallon Pico, I run Chemipure elite in the chamber where the intake comes in, then the second chamber is divided in half using the supplied media rack on the left is a chunk of macro and some very holey rubble and on the right is my 50w stealth heater. I use the pico's light with a 6700k bulb in it on a reverse photoperiod (6700k is on when the main lights are off) helps keep PH stable as well as Nitrates at 0. Once everytwo weeks i strain out the macro and dump the pods in the display (feeding frenzy) take about half of the macro out and replace the rest. I have the flow all the way up with all the things in the 50's media area the flow stays pretty limited. I like the setup but will be upgrading it to a ac70 soon(more room).

In this picture you can see the eggcrate I used to keep the Macro inside the HOB
img_1045184_0_f3973889c53501881bd85f5692142f6e.jpg

A little bit closer shot. I still need to cut the led so it lays flat with the heater leading in.

This one is a little closer.
img_1045184_1_82db766f87e0fd13fe593e2da05d7813.jpg

Hello,
So the refugium has been up and running for a good week now and it seems to be working already! The brown diatom mess on the sand is getting better and the cyano is still being held at bay. Nitrates and phosphates are still at zero despite the lack of diatoms and cyano. The mass of chaeto looks to have doubled in size as well. I need to get some copepods for the refugium.
I still get this brown spotting on the tank sides.

If this simple addition is truely the cause for the clean sand, then I think they ought to be considered standard for new tank setups. Just like live rock.

Now the question: Will zero nitrates hurt my crocea clam? I read they need nitrates.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom