hob filtration for a 20g long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
as my other thread states I am planning on a big rescape on all my tanks here soon and figuring out what I need ahead of time.

i don't like the whisper internal filter on my 10g anymore since i went planted. it takes up space and some of the light gets blocked. i want to switch to a hob but I've never used one. i want to go hob for my 30g as well and ditch the ugf. since moving it into my bedroom with the other two tanks the airpump is already bugging me at night.

since i am going to get a new filter and lighting i am just going to move everything from the 10g to a 20g long i have sitting in the garage. it'll only add around 10 or so dollars to the total cost so why not.

probably going with either a tetra or an aqueon power filter. wondering which one is better with live plants. never used an aqueon product but have used lots of tetra products but it was years ago and wonder about their quality these days. also curious if one with a bio-wheel is better with plants.

also i will piggyback a question about my current internal whisper 2-10i that is running on my 10g

the cartridge is finally starting to fall apart and may not last until i get the new filter. whats the best way to put it in a new one. should i just cut a piece off and stick it inside the new one or just double them up for a while?

Check out the aquaclears, Two 30's on either end of the tank would work! Or maybe one 50..

+1 to what brook said. Aquaclears are prob the most reliable and most efficient hob filter on the market. It's like a compact canister filter. You can also order a sponge that is made for the intake so that it doesn't suck up fragile or small things (fish fry, plant leaves, etc).
As for switching filters, I would put the new and old one in the filter together for a little bit then you can remove the old filter pad. However, the filter pads are not where most of the bb (beneficial bacteria) lives. Most of it is in the gravel r whatever substrate you have so you can put some of the substrate in the filter as long as it's not too fine as too clog/break the motor/impeller.

AquaClears are tried and true. Blow tetra, aqueon, and marineland bio-wheel out of the water in customization and efficiency. But, IMO, although I love aquaclear and continue to use them, the Fluval C series is the most advanced, innovative, and efficient HOB I've tried so far. It's basically an updated and more refined version of an AquaClear (since they're both made by Hagen). It's like a HOB and canister hybrid. Simply awesome.

However, if the tank is going to be in a bedroom, nothing beats the quietness of a canister filter. I'd get the fluval 206 if it were in my bedroom.

But if you go HOB, you can just get one and add a circulation pump in the other end. Something like a Hydor Koralia.

Last edited:
That's true. The fluval c series are amazing as well and are better than Aquaclears IMO but more expensive so if you want to save some money and have a good hob go for the Aquaclears but if you're willing to spent a little more definitely go for the fluval c's. Canisters are the next step up for filters from hobs and usually cost a lot more than hobs but more efficient, quiet, and better looking. Sunsun makes good canisters such as the HW ones. I have one on my 20g rimless and it is extremely quiet. Of course there are other amazing companies and models out there but the sunsun is a lot cheaper than others by far. The uv one is not very useful however because the uv is too small to do much.

+1 to what brook said. Aquaclears are prob the most reliable and most efficient hob filter on the market. It's like a compact canister filter. You can also order a sponge that is made for the intake so that it doesn't suck up fragile or small things (fish fry, plant leaves, etc).
As for switching filters, I would put the new and old one in the filter together for a little bit then you can remove the old filter pad. However, the filter pads are not where most of the bb (beneficial bacteria) lives. Most of it is in the gravel r whatever substrate you have so you can put some of the substrate in the filter as long as it's not too fine as too clog/break the motor/impeller.

Not that I have personally measured bb levels, but I thought most people consider filter media a prime location of bb. :confused:

That's true. The fluval c series are amazing as well and are better than Aquaclears IMO but more expensive so if you want to save some money and have a good hob go for the Aquaclears but if you're willing to spent a little more definitely go for the fluval c's. Canisters are the next step up for filters from hobs and usually cost a lot more than hobs but more efficient, quiet, and better looking. Sunsun makes good canisters such as the HW ones. I have one on my 20g rimless and it is extremely quiet. Of course there are other amazing companies and models out there but the sunsun is a lot cheaper than others by far. The uv one is not very useful however because the uv is too small to do much.

A Fluval C3 (rated at 50 gallons) versus a AquaClear 50 (also rated at 50 gallons) is $39.99 versus $37.99. Difference of $2 on Dr. Fosters. I think I'd pony up $2 for a better filter.

cool. I will look into the aquaclear. I've seen the hob canister type hybrid ones too I will take a look at.

yeah the cartridge is so small on the internal that I figured it couldn't be holding that much bb but I will just run them back to back for a little while.

I don't mind the waterfall sound. the buzzing of the air pump is what is bugging me.

Well.. the aquaclears I have and the fluval c hob, are all fairly silent. So long as you keep the tank topped off, there shouldn't even be a waterfall sound. Both filter models tend to start off a bit noisy, but as they break in, they will get significantly more silent.

that aquatop hybrid does look pretty cool. i do the whole back and fourth thing all the time. i try and give myself a month or two on projects so i can do that.

That link was extremely annoying on my iPhone but that filter does look awesome! Any feedback out there??

It is a canister style filter that you hang over the back on the tank, like a HOB. They are meant for smaller tanks since most classic style canister filters are meant for 30gallon+. It has different baskets that you can customize just like a canister filter. There are a few different brands on the market, I just linked the first one I found but they are all generally the same idea. There is one I remember looking at that you could do either or, HOB canister or a normal like canister filter.

I have an Aquaclear 50 on my planted 20l. It doesn't clear the water nearly as fast as the fluval 206 canister I had on it (moved to another tank) but it was a lot cheaper. I haven't had an aquaeon filter. I do have a Tetra filer, and I've had a Penguin filter. The Penguin is the only filter I've taken back because I disliked it so much. The Tetra is actually been a pretty good filter for me, AFTER I glued the end on the intake permanently. It was loose from the factory, and kept falling off, then it fell off once when I didn't realize it.... until all the fish/shrimp in my tank went missing, because they had all been sucked up in the filter. I've got three Aquaclears. I do think the Aquaclears are worth the extra $. It seems better to save $10-20 at the time of purchase, but in my experience I've never regretted paying more for a filter in the long run, while I have regretted not paying more and going with a better one a few times.

Back
Top Bottom