HOB vs canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whitch is better for a 72 gallon saltwater tank I would love a sump but it won't fit under my stand and I'm trying to keep the weight down since I'm on the 2nd floor

I don't think a canister is ever a good idea. They are nitrate factories. I would go with HOB if those are your only two options

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Canisters are superior to HOBs in every way, though the type of filtration needed for a saltwater tank is largely dependent on the type of SW tank you want to have. In tanks with live rock, I believe power heads are all you really need because nitrification occurs in the rock.

Being superior does not mean they are a better choice for all application. There's nothing a HOB can do better than a canister. But, like I said, SW filtration is largely dependent on the type of SW aquarium and without knowing that it's hard to give a concise answer.

Any pics of the stand? A small sump is better than no sump.

I wouldn't do either. If you really can't fit even a ten gallon as a sump do lots of live rock, a powerhead, and hob huge and skimmer. These would be better than a regular hob filter or canister.

Thxs I'm doing a fowlr I'm may add few corals later.

The biggest reason I can't have a sump is the added weight and what's hob huge?

Yes fuge, phone corrects spelling.

Weight shouldn't be an issue. I have never heard of a tank going through a floor. People are fat, have waterbeds and gun safes, the floors are made for it.

I had a bedroom on the second floor with a queen size waterbed and 10 fish tanks.

forget the hob power filter, go to a hob protein skimmer instead, esp for a saltwater tank..

Thxs again i like the idea of the hob fuge never seen one before and I'm already getin hob skimmer

Don't think you need a skimmer for fresh. Don't quote me though cuz I'm not a freshwater guy

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Skimmers don't work in freshwater. Freshwater doesn't allow for the size bubbles needed for a skimmer to work efficiently. The only exception I have ever seen is in a store that did a lot of koi which are routinely kept with a lot of salt (at least at wholesalers and retailers). The salt is enough to allow for bubbles small enough to effectively skim (and the cost of the koi in one stock tank being in the tens of thousands makes the investment in the 6' tall skimmer worth it).

Back
Top Bottom