Holding!Kenyi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im sooo excited!!I was watching my kenyi spawning this morning! I counted at least 20 or 30 eggs! I have to remember the name of the fish she spawned with. My fiance' has mixed cichlids from different lakes, Im pretty sure the fish my kenyi spawned with is a south african cichlid. SO i will post as soon as i figure that one out:) OOh, and because I know someone will say it..I know its not ideal to have cichlids from different lakes I am constantly battling with my fiance on that one..so until I win that one I am doing the best I can to meet all the needs of the fishies:)
anyway- to the point this is the first time this has happend in my tank and im soo excited! I know these fry will look awesome! Can someone guide me on what to do? I want to make sure some of the babies survive. so, I will be buying a breeding net...anything else? How long before I should plan on fry? is it safe to do water changes, or will that make her swallow the eggs? any guidance or advice would be much appreciated! thanks everyone!! WHOO!!
_erin_:fish1:

pics of mama and daddy.

Pics of mama and daddy. daddy is the dark black one. mama is the blue kenyi

fishie1.jpg

fishie2.jpg

anyone know the name of my daddy fish?

Following this thread! Are the breeding nets good or is a separate tank ideal for the mother and fry?

Ok thanks, what about the mother should she be taken out after so long or stay in there so the fry can learn from her?

What is the ideal way to care for my kenyi to make sure most of the fry survive?

I'm still new at this but this is what has been working for me. I tried the breeder net but there was one fatality so this time I put my momma fish in her own small tank I put rocks and sand out of the main tank in her tank to make it more like home. I hear it is uncommon for them to eat their fry but it can be a possibility. I put the breeder net in the main tank and put her in it. I left her in there for a day to let her rest and then returned her to the "community" tank . I hear it's not good to leave them out of their community for very long because they could loose their social status

missie said:
What is the ideal way to care for my kenyi to make sure most of the fry survive?

Move the female to her own tank with the same water parameters and temp as the main tank, . Make sure there is plenty of hiding places so she can feel secure, I wouldn't even bother putting a light on the tank. She will hold for roughy 20-30 days. Once she spits return her back to the main tank or a recovery tank so she can get all her strength back.

I have a tank divider for my 20 gallon tank. could i put her on one side of my 20 gallon?? and should I wait until she is ready to spit the fry before i move her? I just dont want her to be picked on once i put her back in the 55.

...what about the mother should she be taken out after so long or stay in there so the fry can learn from her?

The maternal instincts of mbuna moms wear off after awhile, then they can become cannabalistic. After about a week or two of being spat the best thing that mbuna fry learn from the mom is how to avoid larger fish.

Congrats, but...why make the effort to rear 20-30 kenyi-elongatus hybrids? :hide:

purely for fun! Ive never had fry before and Its another learning experiance about this hobby that I would like to learn and enjoy!

How long should I keep my kenyi in. the main tank before I move her?

I would move her as soon as your holding tank is ready. If you wish to continue. However......

I would also add that hybrids are not sort after and mostly frowned upon in the hobby. Whilst I appreciate and share you interest in breeding and raising fry. You need to think long term. No true Malawi keeper is gona want these, and some shops wont touch them either. Hybrids take the purity of the species away from the hobby. And whilst I think they can create some interesting looking fish, it's bad long term for the hobby.

How Many times have we seen threads, please Identify my fish, only to find out its a hybrid. Sold as something it's not to the unexpecting customer. .

I'm sorry to put a downer on what should be a happy moment, but if you wish to let her hold and experiment with breeding, let her hold in your main tank, you won't get many surviving fry, but the one or two that you get you can keep!!!!

If you separate her your fry numbers will be a lot higher and they will need long term homes to live and grow. If you can't sell or get rid of these fish it will be your responsibility to provide this. As culling seems a little harsh at this stage. If you go sell or get rid I feel sorry for the poor person who buys them not getting what they actually wanted .

You can of course strip her avoid this and hope she breeds with the right fish next time?

Good luck

Ukdans1k said:
I would move her as soon as your holding tank is ready. If you wish to continue. However......

I would also add that hybrids are not sort after and mostly frowned upon in the hobby. Whilst I appreciate and share you interest in breeding and raising fry. You need to think long term. No true Malawi keeper is gona want these, and some shops wont touch them either. Hybrids take the purity of the species away from the hobby. And whilst I think they can create some interesting looking fish, it's bad long term for the hobby.

How Many times have we seen threads, please Identify my fish, only to find out its a hybrid. Sold as something it's not to the unexpecting customer. .

I'm sorry to put a downer on what should be a happy moment, but if you wish to let her hold and experiment with breeding, let her hold in your main tank, you won't get many surviving fry, but the one or two that you get you can keep!!!!

If you separate her your fry numbers will be a lot higher and they will need long term homes to live and grow. If you can't sell or get rid of these fish it will be your responsibility to provide this. As culling seems a little harsh at this stage. If you go sell or get rid I feel sorry for the poor person who buys them not getting what they actually wanted .

You can of course strip her avoid this and hope she breeds with the right fish next time?

Good luck

I completely agree & understand your point of view. We have moved her into a divided 20 gal. We have decided to keep one or two of the fry & put the rest in. the main tank & see what happens. I really hope breeds w the right fish next time.. and what I hope even more is that I can talk my fiance into finding our south african a more suitable home...thanks for the info:)

Back
Top Bottom