Hole in mom's betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed today that my mom's betta has a hole in him where his anus fins meet his body. It's not a hole in his fins, but his body itself. Anyone know what this might be? I have been trying to look on the net but can't really come up with anything. He is in a 5.5 gal tank with filter and heater. Thanks in advance.

Tiff

Eeek. I haven't the vaguest. My guess is its some sort of ulcer, but I too haven't heard of this specifically. Is it in the tank alone? What are the water parameters FWG? Maybe a course of a broad spectrum antibiotic might help...but I'm reaching in the dark here.

freshwatergal...

Do you mean the Betta has an open sore on his body? If so... when you look at it closely can you see a tiny, thread-like object close to the center of the sore? If that's the case (or if one shows up in the next day or two) then you're dealing with 'anchor worms'. Are there any other fish in the tank that might have taken a bite out of the Betta?

He is in a tank with one cory. The hole isn't red, and I didn't notice anything hanging out of it. But it is a hole..right through his body. It is where the anal and tail fin is, but more on the anal fin. I was looking on the net last night and couldn't find anything by the typical diseases. So I called my mom and told her to put a pinch of salt in the tank. (I know, cory's don't like salt). I haven't looked at it today, but will look at it closely tomorrow. I will hopefully be getting some bettamax in the mail tomorrow or saturday (was mailed to me on tues) so I will do a treatment of that on him when I get it. Thanks for the responses though.

Oh someone else said it might be body rot, ever heard of that??

Is it just a small pin hole? My female betta had that too and she did just fine (until my eel ate her one night). :oops:

OK....this one is out of my range of experience too. I don't think I've ever seen a fish with a hole completely through its body! Good luck with the BettaMax....hope it does a good job for you!

Well, my mom told me this morning that her betta passed away last night. Whatever it was must have been too far gone. :(

Sorry to hear that freshwatergal. VERY bizarre to hear of a fish with a hole completely through its body.

Back
Top Bottom