Hole in silicone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noooooooo!
There is a pinhole size leak in the silicone 1/2 way up on my 37 gallon irregular hexagon tank!
What do I do??? I already emptied 1/2 of the water in my tank, and put some duct tape on the hole in the silicon!
I will go to my LFS tomorrow and buy some aquarium silicone and can I just put a dot of it on the hole and will that seal the tank???
Help???

I don't think silicone bonds to silicone like it does to glass :(
You could give it a try and see if it works, but I think you're going to need to remove the existing silicone and reseal it. If you try patching it, roughen up the area around the hole if you can, it might help.

Silicon needs at least 48 hours to cure, correctly. I have heard even longer. Is there any way you could re home your fish? I had a Tank leak and went out a bought a tank reused everything and hit it with Safe Start just in case. This way I am Draining and resealing the whole thing. I am going under the assumption one leak would lead to more. Maybe you can fix it and set up a back up tank?

Can you run your filters on a rubbermaid container (or similar) while you reseal your tank and wait for it to cure?

Yeah probably, I read that if you just put he new silicone over the hole it might work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom