Holes in Leaves and Dying Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently started PPS pro.

I felt overwhelmed, and just did what the article River Cats linked to said to do. It helped, but my tank is out of balance still.

I'm now realizing that it isn't really overwhelming, I just didn't want to have to think about the chemical notations. Now I've written out what they mean, and it's no big deal to think about what each ingredient is. There really are only 5 total things you're working with. One can be discarded if you have hard enough water in the first place, and another can be reduced or discarded if you have enough nitrates anyway.

Take your time, read through the EI and PPS pro descriptions.

Mostly, you're adding Trace Elements (a hodge-podge of micro nutrients), Potassium, Phosphate, and possibly Nitrate.

You can measure Phosphates, Hardness, and Nitrates directly. So you can adjust those if you do as RC suggests, and keep nitrates separate, and the hardness test should tell you if you need to bother with anything to harden your water at all (test your tap water).

I'm still new to all of this, so I'm sure RC or someone will let me know if I'm wrong about something. But that really just leaves testing your Nitrates and Phosphates weekly, and adjusting your dosing to keep levels where RC suggests (or the PPS pro articles suggest).

Daily dosing, weekly measuring, low cost.

Now I just need to finish getting up to speed on my testing, so I can finally balance out my tank.:fish2:

Mordachai, that's awesome that you tried PPS Pro. I can see the advantages to it, no doubt, and Rivercats certainly knows her stuff. I just liked the simplicity of EI dosing so I went for that for my first experience with dry ferts. It's a multivitamin, sure, but it's a lot better than what I was doing before.

Cool! I wasn't saying PPS pro is better or worse - just trying to share my trepidations and experiences so far with figuring this stuff out. Maybe my silly story will someone. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to do the research and figure out which would be better for me. I think this sounds like it should take care of a lot of the problems I'm experiencing. You guys are awesome, thanks!

I'll post again when I've tried it out and gotten any results.

Back
Top Bottom