Holes in leaves ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traciedjessop

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there. I'm a newbie to planted tanks. Set up for about 8 weeks now.
I have these holes in my leaves. Wonder if it's the ramshorn snails? Or the Molly ? Or is the plant dying?
I have the ramshorns because I'm going to have freshwater dwarf puffers so I want the food source.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404912465.219533.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404912478.223451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also I am dosing daily with Excel about 3 drops of excel in my 12 gal long. If this was bad advice please let me know. The store I was advised at already lost my business for putting profit over true care for the hobby.
Thanks again!!

It does not look like the plant is dying. It definitely looks like something took a bite out of it though. I believe it is the ramshorns because they are known for eating live plants.

Sent with my fingers

Plant Care

Hello Trac...

Livebearing fish like Mollies, can damage plants as they rasp bits of algae from the leaves. I keep Ramshorn snails and never noticed them eating anything other than dead plant and animal material. They don't damage healthy plants. Your plant may simply have a nutrient problem. Plants are like fish, they tire of the same food, so maybe it's time for a change. I use Flourish Comprehensive sometimes and also change out a lot of tank water every week or two. Water changes replace minerals the plants need for good health. It wouldn't hurt to review the lighting requirements of your plants, just to make sure you're providing the right amount.

B

The Molly is rehoming tonight anyways so that will help.
Thank you for the advice on the change if nutrients. I'll do that right away.

I have my lights on about 6 hours a day. I'll research that better and make sure I've got that right.
Thank you so much!

It does not look like the plant is dying. It definitely looks like something took a bite out of it though. I believe it is the ramshorns because they are known for eating live plants.

Sent with my fingers

I agree. It looks like something took a bite!!!

I hope it's not the snails tho ;/ I need them for my puffers :/

Ramshorn snails do not eat live plants

I had loads at one point, maybe 30+, none of my plants were ever affected

Your Plants

The Molly is rehoming tonight anyways so that will help.
Thank you for the advice on the change if nutrients. I'll do that right away.

I have my lights on about 6 hours a day. I'll research that better and make sure I've got that right.
Thank you so much!

Hello again Trac...

Not sure 6 hours of lighting is enough for tropical, aquatic plants. I have my lights on timers set for 12 hours on and 12 off. Tropical plants are used to long hours of daylight. My tanks are low tech with just a couple of florescent bulbs from the hardware store. The lighting is lower and subdued, but I keep it on 12 hours a day.

Many tank keepers worry about algae problems if the lights are on too long, but I've found if I don't feed very much, change a lot of tank water and use floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort in the tank, I have no algae problems.

B

Low light tanks lighting can be run longer.

I have high light and only run mine 6 hours total. My plants have no problems whatsoever...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404925138.603391.jpg

Thank you. I wondered if my lights weren't enough. I was doing only 6 bc I was afraid my lights were too strong. I have T5's.
I'm going to start running them for 12 now and see if that helps. I guessing it's probably a big part of the problem.

Glad to know it's not my snails!!

Thank you guys for being so helpful!
(And kind to a newbie) ;)

Sk3lly !
Love!! Your tank looks awesome!
Maybe I won't need a full 12. I'll up to 8 and see if I have improvement!

Here's my tank as of yesterday.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404927669.823325.jpg

T5 will put you in low light.

Your lighting looks very blue?!? Can you look on the bulb for more info for us please? Looking for a kelvin rating.

Plants use very little of the blue light spectrum, so your plants will defo struggle.

Your looking for bulbs in the kelvin rating between 6000k and 10000k

It's a coralife T5 HO Dual
1 - 10k daylight
1 - 420nm actinic blue

Hey guys and girls,.sorry I'm late.. a few things.. where'd you get the plant? Does not look fully aquatic.. lose the actnic and grab a 6500k to go with the 10k, this will put you in the med light category on that tank so liquid carbon will be a must to avoid algae monsters noming all your plants up..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ramshorn snails do not eat live plants

I had loads at one point, maybe 30+, none of my plants were ever affected

Well my ramshorns did take bites out of a few of my plants. Maybe they only eat some specific plants.

I will change the bulb (I originally bought my setup intending to be a salt setup but changed my mind)

The plants came from two local fish stores. They aren't the best stores, my choices here suck!

Maybe I should order my plants online? Other options?

Coralife fixture? You can order bulbs on amazon pretty cheap. Yah im guessing they're not meant for the tank and that would certainly explain the melting.. you can certainly order online. You can also check the classifieds here for good deals.. i actually have a bucket full of plants right now that need a home, pm me if you're interested..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will change the bulb (I originally bought my setup intending to be a salt setup but changed my mind)

The plants came from two local fish stores. They aren't the best stores, my choices here suck!

Maybe I should order my plants online? Other options?

Yea actinics are really only useful in salt setups. Its ok though, no harm done :)

Fish stores often stock non aquatic plants. Think they do it to catch the newbies out. When they return saying their plants died, the store can sell them new plants and other expensive fertilisers.

You can look through the classifieds on the site. Although you may be buying just clippings that will take a while to root and get going. Also plants may come with snails and algae.

Online shops are very good. Where are you based? US? UK??

Back
Top Bottom