Holes in my pink convicts head. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed a couple of a days ago that one of my male pink convicts has small holes around his eye socket and now there are a few hole forming around his mouth. All the holes for now are on his right side.
I have the med lg Oscar in there with the deformed mouth. An associate at the local Fresh water fish store mentioned that oscars usually get this.
What do I do. I did medicate the water with something called malafix or something like that as instructed.
Do I need to remove the Oscar, the convict, use different medicine to stop this.
What?
I've been trying to get my water condition under control and as the water cleared up the other day, this is when I started to notice the holes.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone SOON!
Scott

HITH/HLLE is generally related to poor diet and water conditions. The first thing to let us know are your water parameters and tank size. With these CA/SA are prone to this when kept in poor water conditions with ammonia/nitrite present and high nitrates for prolonged time. The first step is to keep the water pristine with no ammonia/nitrite pressed present and the nitrates must not get over 20ppm. The next step is diet, as vitamin defiency can also contribute. New Life Spectrum is the best food to help promote health, disease prevention and color. Don't worry about treating with meds unless you see a seconday infection like fuzzy stuff. Keep your water perfect and feed them a quality food and it will go away.

Thanks. I'll do a test. As for the diet. I already reed them new life spectrum along with frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. I melt one cube of each and divide that up between my three tanks at both feedings.
The sick guy is in the 75 with most 5 other convicts and the Oscar. There's also a lg pleco, two red tailed black sharks and 6 small/med emerald green corys.
The water was in bad shape. Green haze. I have been getting it under control with water changes, feeding control and less time with the T5 lights on. I was running them from about 6am-930pm. I was over feeding them.
Now the lights come on at 6 or 7am and are off by about 2pm for now. I will change the timer eventually once the water condition is pristine so they're on just after sun up and off just before sundown. Theres enough outside ambient light that they aren't in total darkness.
Hopefully these changes help.
If anyone has anything else to add, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom