Holy snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martymarr98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went from having a couple of snails from a clean up crew to up to 40 small snails all over my glass. I had a shaving brush small live plant in my tank for a while and it advertised that it would be a good way to breed snails. Is this normal?

The snails in question.

Attachments

• image-177822770.jpg
    image-177822770.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 168
It's kinda blurry, but they could be stomatella snails. Do they have a very small round shell in middle of back? The shell doesnt cover whole back, though. If so, that's what they are, and from what I know, they do tend to breed well in tanks. Congrats!! They're a great part of the CUC! :)

you can never have too many CUC's
here's 2 of mine hard at work. well the snail in on union break, but the crab is working hard !!!

Snails! I've had two types breed in my tank. Stomatella and nassarius snails. And as said before, can't have too many! The population will be limited by available resources anyway. So if they're multiplying, it means there's enough food to support them all.

Snails! I've had two types breed in my tank. Stomatella and nassarius snails. And as said before, can't have too many! The population will be limited by available resources anyway. So if they're multiplying, it means there's enough food to support them all.

I didn't know that resources limit the population of snails. So my Nassarius laid literally thousands of eggs over the course of few days. Fish ate most of the eggs, but we did get some tiny baby Nassarius from the eggs!!! Yea!! They're so tiny. :D So that means the tank is good, right? I mean, if they're wanting to make more snails, it's gotta be a good place to live, right? Never had any stomatella, but would love to have them breed too!! Nothing better than a free CUC! :)

Well, in one way or another, resources limit all populations. Sadly, the human race hasn't figured this out yet.
But yeah, if a pair of snails lay a thousand eggs and there's only enough appropriate food to sustain 500 adult snails, as the thousand babies grow, some will starve until there is an equilibrium.

Back
Top Bottom