Home Depot play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidjp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello iv just recently bought play sand from Home Depot (quikrete)and was wondering if it will alter the ph in any way of my aquarium.

im not that sure, but i would put the sand in, run for a day or two and then check ph, nitrite, nitrate and then post the info

Return it, it's garbage.. get some pool filter sand from ace hardware or a pool supply..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Return it, it's garbage.. get some pool filter sand from ace hardware or a pool supply..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I couldn't agree more. I tried the home depot play sand first and it was mostly just dirt. It turned to mud during washing and I lost about half the volume of the sand.

I get my pool filter sand from Menards and really like it. It's a clean product that looks nice.

The one and only time I ever tried sand in my tank was either HD or Lowes play sand. Spent the afternoon washing it. And several water changes clearing it up. Ultimately it turned out to be too light colored for my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So i should use pool filter sand from quikrete instead

I bought some other stuff from Leslie's pool supples 20 grain or something like that. Will it work

New guy here but have to throw in another vote for pool filter sand. I have it in my tank and it's great. Doesn't float around and is very easy to vacuum. Plus, the fish (cichlids) love to rearrange my tank so the landscape is always changing!

Back
Top Bottom