Home depot shop lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a $7 light fixture at HD that is a 2 bulb shop light that comes with an electronic ballast. I have been using one in a 2x32 PC light over my coral frag tank for about 6 months. I am hoping to have 1 ballast run a 55 watt bulb but not real sure how to wire it yet.

any specifics on the unit, manufacture, item number, description of the box maybe? i will buy a 3 if thats the case, maybe more.

Its 24"? Are you sure the ballast is electronic? Could you check out the ballast and see if it has the specs. written on it.. ?-F??T?.. TIA

It is a commercial electric shoplight. It is a 4ft light fixture and the box is mostly white. It says on the box that is has an electroni ballast. I have one in my hand and the ballast is a Sunpark model SL15 electronic ballast.

thats a 2-F32T8/2-F40T12 electronic ballast.. thats nice for $7.. there was another post were someone got a similar elcetronic ballast (without the shoplight) from HD for about the same price..

That would be nice to know. I hate throwing out the fixtures but don't really have a use for them.

both items would be usefull.. the shoplight with the ballast for someone who has a 4' tank and would use the fixture and the bare ballast for someone that wants to use it for something else like you ellisz.. since you have a HD you could check out the electronic ballasts they have in there lighting department.. the 4-F32T8's are a bit overpriced in my oppinion at about $30 but these little 2-F32T8's at $7-8 is a deal if you want to use them for 55watt PC bulbs :D ..

Well I finally did it, I bought the 16.99CDN Home depot light, I Also purchased some DAylight Bulbs, they are supposedly the equivalent of 100watt output with while only using 40 watts to runthem, How ever ever since then I have noticed that the algy in my tank has grown very quickly. I will post a couple of pictures of the hood I also made for it... Does anybody have any suggestions to slow the algae growth, but still give off good light....

Mike

mrglofball..
Im assuming your talking about a FW tank.. you should check the planted tank area of this forum.. the algae is most likely caused by all that light and carbon (CO2) is the limited resorce for your plants now or you have more light then a non-planted tank needs..

Light dilema

I had a creeping charlie in that tank and it decided that it no longer wanted to live. Now I had this plant in my old community tank and replanted it in my new tank. I am thinking it just didn't like the move... now there are no live plants in this tank and I wasn;t sure how much light the fish needed.

you only need enough light to see the fish, nothing more. if you have plants (which you don't anymore) thats a different story.

So I should be fine with a std shop light 40 watt set of bulbs??? Do you think that will slow down the growth of the algae, or maybe even stop it?

OK.. maybe I can help.. you can get some plants that are approprate for the amount of light and the size tank.. or lower the light intensity..
How big is your tank?
And what bulb(s) and what ballast did you overdive with.. whats the ballasts rating.. example- 4-F32T8 or 2-F32T8? so I can estamate exactly how much light your working with..

If you used one of these 2-F32T8 on a single 4 foot 40watt bulb you have ~60watts of light? 8)

mrgolfball said:
So I should be fine with a std shop light 40 watt set of bulbs??? Do you think that will slow down the growth of the algae, or maybe even stop it?

If you get the 5000k daylight bulbs you will grow algae without problem.

Back
Top Bottom