Home made food for A. Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skald89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank 1: 55 Gallon
2 - red zebras
4 - yellow labs
1 - p. acei

Tank 2: 20 Gallon
5 - 1" p. acei fry

Is this good for my fish? Should I switch or add any items

Food idea:All blended and frozen
Peas
Garlic
Zucchini
Squash
Cucumber
Papaya
Carrot
Spinach
Omege one Kelp flakes
I have fake crab at home, would this be a good source of protein? I am trying not to spend any additional money because I have already spent too much on a new tank and filter sponges for my fish.

Ingredients: Surimi (Pollack and/or Whiting), Water, Wheat Flour, Sorbitol, Corn Starch, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Salt, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Paprika.

Serving Size 0.5 cup

Servings Per Container 5
Amount Per Serving
Calories 96 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat —
Cholesterol — —
Sodium 580 mg 25%
Potassium — —
Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 3 mg
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%

Actually you want to keep protien down to a absolute minimum...as to much can lead to Malawi Bloat...I've experienced this first hand&it is not pleasent...make vegetation a big part of their diet(zuchini for one) veg flakes,new life spectrum pellets&cobalt cichlid flakes make a great diet..

HUKIT said
"Because its not just high proteins that cause bloat, it's where the proteins are derived from. Just because it's high in protien doesn't mean it will cause Bloat. Your examples:

Bloodworms: they have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process and could potenitally get stuck in the long intestinal tracks of herbivores irritating the walls allowing flagellated protazoas to take hold causing bloat.

Beefheart: this is a mammal protien which contains a different proteins and fats when compared to their aquatic counterparts which the fish is not designed to process. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately causing irritation again leading to Bloat.

Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality...another cause of Bloat

Spirulina: now by your definition is to high of a protien(contains 65-75% depending on source) would cause Bloat but does not, again where the proteins are derived from.

The idea of excess protein causing bloat, or any type of gastrointestinal issues in herbivores, is completely inaccurate. Poor quality protein, as well as other hard to digest ingredients, can cause bloat, etc., but easily digestible protein will never cause any dietary issues. I could go on and on but I hope you see the point, percentage means nothing and quality means everything."

Really a good post. Should be a sticky or an article

Sillyfishies said:
HUKIT said
"Because its not just high proteins that cause bloat, it's where the proteins are derived from. Just because it's high in protien doesn't mean it will cause Bloat. Your examples:

Bloodworms: they have a exoskeleton that is hard to digest/process and could potenitally get stuck in the long intestinal tracks of herbivores irritating the walls allowing flagellated protazoas to take hold causing bloat.

Beefheart: this is a mammal protien which contains a different proteins and fats when compared to their aquatic counterparts which the fish is not designed to process. Their digestive systems are well designed so that if the food is of a protein that can not be digested properly it will simply be expell this excess immediately causing irritation again leading to Bloat.

Proteins are made of amino acids which contain nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, so as the fish is breaking these non-native foods down they in turn make a lot more nitrogenous waste which as everyone knows will effect water quality...another cause of Bloat

Spirulina: now by your definition is to high of a protien(contains 65-75% depending on source) would cause Bloat but does not, again where the proteins are derived from.

The idea of excess protein causing bloat, or any type of gastrointestinal issues in herbivores, is completely inaccurate. Poor quality protein, as well as other hard to digest ingredients, can cause bloat, etc., but easily digestible protein will never cause any dietary issues. I could go on and on but I hope you see the point, percentage means nothing and quality means everything."

Really a good post. Should be a sticky or an article

Let me slightly rephrase what I said...foods which are rich in protein should not be a part of the daily feeding or even more so every other day..from my own experience&research...I also agree that there are also other factors which can come into play as well...I also appreciate you posting anothers article as it was informative..

Back
Top Bottom