Honey Gourami Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Honey Gourami
Submitted by - Tamtam

Scientific name: Colisa chuna

Synonyms: Colisa sota; Trichopodus chuna, Trichogaster chuna

Common Names: Honey Gourami, Red Honey Fire Gourami, Fire Honey Gourami, Flame Honey Gourami, Gold Honey Gourami, Sunset Gourami, Sunburst Gourami

Category: labyrinth fish

Family: osphoronemidae

Suborder - Anabantid

Origin: India and Bangladesh

Main Ecosystem: Areas with dense vegetation. Inhabits a wide range of sluggish moving waters like ponds and ditches and areas of flooding during seasonal fluctuations, also found in rivers and lakes.

Salinity: freshwater

Temperament: over all peaceful, displays timid behavior but can also show acts of aggression common with gourami, particularly when housed with other males or over crowded. Also should not be kept with fish with long flowing fins such as Betta or Guppy.

Diet: Omnivore. Will take prepared foods. Pellets or flakes offer a good staple but substituting with live,frozen or freeze dried options along with fresh veggies will be best for the fish.

Care: The honey gourami is best added to an already established tank with limited water current that is well planted. Hiding spots and floating plants will make this fish feel more at ease. The Honey gourami is one of the smallest gouramis available and it's size allows this fish to be kept in smaller aquariums than many other Gouramis. Should be kept with other peaceful fish. Avoid larger, more aggressive fish and known fin nippers. When housing more than 1 male be sure to provide a large enough tank allowing plenty of cover and territories for each fish to claim. As with all fish a varied diet will provide optimal nutrition.

pH: 6.0 - 8.0

Temperature: 72-80 F, 22-26 C

Hardness: Soft to moderately hard water. Consistency is most important as they will adapt to most water chemistry. Although captive bred fish will fare well in most ranges of hardness the more rare wild caught fish must be kept in soft more acidic water

Potential size: 2 inches(5cm) is the average though they can be slightly larger or smaller. Females are generally larger than males
Water Region: As with most Labyrinth fish they occupy the top level of the tank, allowing easy access to breathing from the surface, though when stressed or not provided with proper cover they will stick to lower levels where cover is provided.

Activity: Diurnal

Lifespan: It is not uncommon for this fish to reach 4-5 years and can even go beyond that.

Color: There are several color morphs of the honey gourami. Typically they are variations of yellow, red and orange as the main body color. It's common to see the additions of blue or brownish colors as well depending on the color morph. Males are more colorful than females of the species and will display more pronounced colors during spawning, females often have more brownish colors and will in some "types" display a darker stripe running the length of the body on their side. Wild caught fish do not display the same vibrant colors you see most often in aquariums.

Sexing: Sexing gourami can be difficult to some. There are some key observations that can assist however. As mentioned females of the species are often larger and do not share the same vibrant color of the males. For this reason females can often be hard to come by. Females also have a more rounded dorsal fin where the males is more pointed.

Acclimation: As with other fish the drip method is best but standard floating of the bag with addition of tank water will do. Float the bag in the tank for 15-20 minutes and slowly add small amounts(roughly 1/4 of a cup) on tank water every 5 or so minutes. Repeat the procedure until you've double the volume in your bag. Net out the fish and add to tank, discard water from the bag.

Breeding: Much like Betta the Gourami is a bubble nest builder. The male will build the nest for the eggs, he will collect the eggs after laying and move them to the nest for safety and will then protect it until the eggs are hatched, this is usually around 24-36 hours and they will be free swimming in another 24-48 hours. The female should be removed after spawning and the male can be removed shortly after hatching. A tight fitting lid is important, fry need access to the warm humid air to help development of the Labyrinth organ. Overall breeding can be easy if the pair are willing and proper conditions are provided. Providing lots of floating plants or long stem plants reaching the surface is important as well as gentle filtration that will not cause too much surface movement. You do not want it to break up the bubble nest or possible suck up the fry. The fry are sensitive to water chemistry so care should be taken while doing water changes.

Comments: Colisa Chuna are often confused with the similar Colisa Lalia. While similar in size there are differences between the two. When comparing the body shape the Dwarf Gourami(lalia) has a more rounded or plump appearance where the Honey Gourami has a more elongated slim appearance much like a Blue Gourami and the anal and dorsal fin are less pronounced in the Honey than the Dwarf. In my experience the Honey Gourami is more timid and mild mannered than the dwarf though this of course varies between individuals.

Gourami are one of my personal favorites. I've owned a few of the Honey Gourami color morphs and I've enjoyed every one of them for different reasons. Each has their very own personality in my experience and it's very interesting to see your specific fishes personality come out. They make a great center peace fish and add a unique splash of color to the tank. I currently have a Sunset gourami. He is an excellent addition to my community and shows no signs of aggression or poor behavior. I sometimes wonder if he believes he's a platy because he spends a good portion of his time chumming around with my platy. He hasn't claimed an area, despite owning him for months, in fact he often shares his grouping of plants with the platy at night to sleep.

Uncommon with other gourami I have actually heard several successes where Honey gourami have been kept in groups successfully in the same tank and seem to actually enjoy the company of the other Honey Gourami exhibiting slight "schooling" behavior. Ultimately I believe a great deal of this success comes down to the tank setup and appropriate size and proper cover. I have kept pairs in the same tank with success but have no hands on experience to add to this theory otherwise.
Over all they are great fish and I highly recommend them to almost anyone.

Sources:
Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna) Profile
Trichogaster chuna – Honey Gourami — Seriously Fish
Honey Gourami, Colisa chuna aquarium tropical fish from Tropical Fish and Aquariums
Honey Gourami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honey Gourami - Trichogaster chuna

Thanks. :)

IME they are healthier and all of my reading seems to agree. They can still get Iridovirus or carry it but it doesn't seem to plague them like the dwarf gouramis.

I can honestly say I've never lost one to it and all of mine have had great health, any deaths have been to age or a tank effecting illness in my less than steller fish owning days, lost one to ich once and an ammo spike.

I have heard that they can have a shorter life span but I think like any fish a lot of it comes down to breeding and where you get them from and their over all care.

Nice! I plan to get three off of live aquaria but I think they ship em with random genders. Hopefully I don't get more than 1 male :/

Nice! I plan to get three off of live aquaria but I think they ship em with random genders. Hopefully I don't get more than 1 male :/

thanks. :) this is my first profile but I think it turned out pretty well. lol.

If you have a large enough tank/enough cover I think you could pull it off, even with a couple males. I've been doing some more reading on multiple honeys in a tank together and have read a lot of successes with a well planted tank. I'm actually thinking about getting a few for my empty 20 to give it a try myself.

I have my Sunset with an angel right now and it's going steller which I was worried about.

Hi i have three of these fish in my 20 gallon long. They recently bred and i moved the eggs into a seperate tank. The fry are now 2 weeks old and are starting to eat each other. How to keep them from eating each other?

wow, can not say I've ever heard of that.. Is there a big difference in size between them?

I would suggest splitting them up keeping smaller ones together and larger ones together if you can.
Other than that I would suggest a lot of cover. Decor, plants, floating plants too.

Something like water sprite or wisteria would be great. They make awesome floating plants and can be planted too. Baby tears is also a nice one for fry to hide in.

If you don't do live plants you can use fake plants as well. The more the better. I just take some fake plants and rip them off the base and float them. Something leafy like this

Marineland® 3' Long Bamboo - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart
or this
Aqueon Begonia Plastic Plant - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

I haven't bred gourami but I've found platy fry in my community tank like to take shelter in these strands floating on the top. They will get on top of a leaf and rest there out of site.

Are you sure they are eating each other? Could it be a filter intake sucking them up? Very strange. Hope something here helps you out.

Yeah i can see them eating each other. But i will use your ideas, thanks.

no prob, I hope they help. Can honestly say I've never seen that before. Total bummer

Size 2 inches

Diet : prepared food

Temp: 72-82

Ph 6.5

Territorial when spawning

Anyone have issues with them "hunting" shrimp? Mine are actively hunting the shrimp in the tank and have ate all the smaller ones. I was advised that they would leave the shrimp alone. Apparently that wasn't correct.

Mine does great with guppys won't even eat fry is peacefull but not very timid anymore

I have a tank with 2 males and one female, they luckily get on great. They are in with danios, minnows and a couple of neons. My tank is heavily planted, so I think that helps.
They recently spawned in a breeding tank, but so far only 3 have survived. :-(

Back
Top Bottom