Honey gourami won't eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have the cutest honey gourami but all he ever wants to eat are FD bloodworms. He's such a picky eater; while all of my other fish are crazy over flakes he pays no interest. The only way I get him to eat is my holding a FD bloodworm on my finger and holding it in the water next to him (otherwise the other fish appear out of nowhere and steal it from him while he's eating). How can I get him to eat actually nutritious food/flakes? Thanks

Feeding Fish

I have the cutest honey gourami but all he ever wants to eat are FD bloodworms. He's such a picky eater; while all of my other fish are crazy over flakes he pays no interest. The only way I get him to eat is my holding a FD bloodworm on my finger and holding it in the water next to him (otherwise the other fish appear out of nowhere and steal it from him while he's eating). How can I get him to eat actually nutritious food/flakes? Thanks

Hello elec...

Maybe you need a better flaked food. Cobalt likely has the best product. My Gourami, just have one in a large community tank. It's a rehomed fish. My tank is his home. Anyway, get some Cobalt and put it into a sandwich bag and crush it. I use an old rolling pin. Drop in the powder just above the fish. Mine doesn't like the bigger pieces, but relishes the real small ones.

B

Or pellets. My friend's really liked betta pellets and they have about the same pellet so it should be okay.

Or get tropical granules. Flakes work well too.

Good luck on getting him to eat! - Raymond

Thanks icy and brad. I tried crumbling the flake very tiny and he only are one speck then left :huh: . I'll try fasting him then feeding again.

You could try soaking in garlic juice. That helps bettas and goldfish eat so I would assume it works for DG's too. :)

My Sunset Gourami is pretty shy in general, but especially at feeding time. I rarely see him eat, but the fact that he is still alive and colorful is proof enough to me that he IS eating something. When I do see him eat, it is usually smaller flakes like BBrad mentioned, or he's picking at stuff along the substrate.

Fish arent likely to starve themselves in an environment where food is available, so try not to worry too much unless you notice it start to look listless or unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom