hood light problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tractorholic

Aquarium Advice Regular
:( Has anyone had hood light problems like this, my flouresent light gave out on my twenty gallon tank, so I went down today and bought another one. Got it put in, turned the light on and it worked, for a few minutes, then went out. I took the inarda apart, and there is a starter in it as well as a transformer looking piece. Can I test these with a volt meter and get a good read out. I have no idea if I can even get replacement parts. Likely have to replace the light part. been thinking of just buying another flourescent fixture from Home depot. $16 bucks for a new tube is expensive. Home depot carries this stuff, and it's a lot cheaper. Will appreciate any help anyone can offer.:thanks:

I know you can check for proper output but unfortunately have no idea how to. But it sounds to me like a starter or ballast issue

I know it sounds simple and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but have you confirmed that you're getting a good connection between the pins of the tube and the socket? The reason I ask is because I had a very similar problem last month and after troubleshooting all of the technical stuff, it turns out that the sockets were sprung out and not making good contact with the pins. I felt like and idiot.

yes, I checked the connection and it's snug, but I appreciate your help a bunch. I'm not a professional electrician, I did build my own house and wired it myself, and after41 years it still works. I tried my volt meter, but it doesn't show much on this stuff. I'll probably just salvage what I can for parts and get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom