Hood & Lighting. Please help me get of on the right foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I am currently looking at all the options available to me with regards to hoods & lighting, i have cleaned up a 20gal long which came as just the tank, no hood, filter, stand etc... I have sorted everything else but now i need a hood and light or light's.
As a newbie to more advanced lighting i could really do with a more experienced aquarist's insight on what to go for.

The Tank

The tank in question measures...
Width: 36" (91.44cm)
Height: 14.5" (36.83cm)
Depth: 12" (30.48cm)
The tank's volume is approximately 6264 cubic inches or 27.12 U.S. gallons, which is approximately 105.48 liters.

It's a Europa tank which is 10+ years old! There is a glass ledge like feature which acts like a sil around the tank. I can only think that it is for a condensation tray, here is a picture... http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc09866gf1.jpg
Would a luminaire fit ok on this tank?

Lighting

This is the most important aspect as i would like to grow some plants i have never even bothered with in the past. My only other tank is your standard 20gal with a 20W T8 light fixture attached to the hood. I have crypts, anubias barteri, java moss and i think some hygrophila siamensis aswell. I would like to try something a little different with this tank and i am aiming for around 2-3 wpg but the budget is tight!

I have looked at luminaire's and this one in particular... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....00029668243&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
It would give me 3x21W = 63wpg. I would like to grow some glossostigma, blxya japonica some different hygrophila and maybe rotala rotundifolia, would i be open to grow these types of plants with that lighting, substrate and CO2? Also how would the fish find this lighting? would it be too bright for a shoal of tetra's, dwarf cichlid's and corydoras?

Thankyou for your time, sorry for the newbie questions and any help would be greatly appriciated. :)

That fixture that you are looking at is going to be closer to Medium Light since you are dealing with a relatively small tank. If you are looking to grow Glosso as a nice low carpet, you'll probably find that it won't be enough. A 96watt CF fixture would probably get you closer to where you want with this tank.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

@ Purrbox: I did read that Glosso can be a difficult plant even for experienced plant grower's but i am willing to try it :D

@ dapellegrini: That seem's perfect for me! It provides more light and is cheaper, now the search for one available to me begins! I have been searching the web for around about a now on and of, and the best result so far is the link i provided for the luminairew on e-bay.

@ rkilling1: I don't even know what an actinic bulb is :oops:

I also haven't quite figured out how to quote yet, hence the @ :oops:

Guys i have just found this... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CURRENT-USA-S...ryZ46314QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
This so far seem's ideal, i don't want to rush into buying anything although it is tempting as i would get it sooner! :lol:
Is there anything i should consider first?
What about US plug socket's and when i need to change a bulb?

TIA

I would definately recommend the Current Satellite fixtures. I've got one over my 10 gallon and love it. The only drawback is that the fans are sometimes a bit on the loud side.

Actinic light is very blue and really only useful in SW tanks. It provides a part of the spectrum that corals would receive at deeper depths. In a FW planted tank all it does is promote a bit bushier growth according to some reports, and makes your fish colors really stand out. It doesn't help with the overall growth of plants and therefore shouldn't be included when calculating the amount of light over a tank. It can be usefull in multi bulb fixtures, as it allows you to fine tune the amount of light over your tank. (ie If you have a dual fixture you could use a daylight and 50/50 bulb, which is half actinic, to get only 75% of the total light as usable. Handy when other fixtures don't provide enough light but that fixture provides too much.)

I take it i would need a fan on that satelite fixture? I imagine it does get pretty hot.

This satelite fixture includes an actinic bulb, i would want some plants to be bushy and other's not so much. If it doesn't do any harm, i still have 96 watts of lighting and it brings fish colour out then i'm all for it :D
Will the bulb aluminate the tank to give it a blue tint at all?

I'm still very much a begginer when it comes to lighting and i'm trying to take all the info in but i have a short while to learn.

It seem's like the satelite fixture is good and more along the lines of what i need, thanks for the help. :)

The satellite comes with the fan built in. The atnic will make your fish colors pop. I have several of the fixtures and like them very much. 96 watts will be plenty over your tank and will still give you a fairly steep learning curve.

The fixture you are looking at comes with a 50/50 bulb (half actinic/half 10000K daylight) so really its only about 48 watts. If you get this fixture, I would replace the bulb with a daylight bulb (no actinic) so you'll be able to use the full 96 watts and will be able to grow the high light plants you are looking at.

Oh right, I see. I will buy a daylight bulb and replace the actinic with it then. :)

I am a little concerned as my tank is only 14.5" tall. Would this be a little too intense for the fish, and is it really necessary as there isn't much water for the light to penetrate through?

Thanks for the help. :)

I am a little concerned as my tank is only 14.5" tall. Would this be a little too intense for the fish, and is it really necessary as there isn't much water for the light to penetrate through?
The fish will be fine. There are people that have more light than that on their tanks. You could have a few floating plants if you are worried about the fish. :)

The issue with your tank is that its hard to get exactly the amount of light you need for the plants you want to keep. The plants you listed above are mostly high light plants and the smaller the tank you have, the more light you'll need. If you keep the actinic bulb in this fixture, it really cuts down on the watts. So you won't be able to grow the plants you would like to. It seems to me that you really need to get what you can because it doesn't look like 36 inch fixtures in the watt range you need are abundantly available in the UK. A 96 watt fixture will give you about 3.56 watts per gallon (using US gallons) which is the low end of high light, since the tank is only 27 US gallons. You should be able to grow the plants you want. You'll probably need to inject CO2 too with that light, but lets worry about that later. I wouldn't worry about the fish...they will be fine.

Ok thanks for that justonemore, that's really helpfull :D

I will be adding CO2 but yes that will come a little later.

Also i understand i need a glass cover... does this have to be any specific glass?
Also it would help if it's cat-proof :lol: I have a kitten that is very, very much interested in water. The fish interest is natural but she loves running water, a tank of water and well...all things water! Hopefully she won't fit in the gap between light and tank.

I have a glass ledge that runs around the top of the tank (mentioned on first post) it fits a condensation tray so would i use this for a glass cover also? (the pic... http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc09866gf1.jpg )

Thanks again It's greatly appriciated. :)

so would i use this for a glass cover also?
You could sit a glass top on that I think. From the picture it looks like the ledge is maybe 1/2 an inch down from the top of the tank. All my tanks have a plastic rim around the top of the glass that a top just fits nicely on. I think it would be fine to get a glass top and set it on the ledge.

Here in the US we can buy already cut glass tops like this one. Its hard for me to suggest things for you since you are not in the US. :( I think there are a few UK plant people on here...I wish they'd offer some suggestions.

That glass top is great because you can flip up the front of it for feeding. You can always go get a piece of glass cut to fit your tank, but it won't flip, meaning you'd have to move it out of the way when you feed the fish.

Maybe some of the UK folks will speak up and offer suggestions to you on where (and if) you can get a glass top like the one I linked to.

Sorry I can't help ya more!

have a kitten that is very, very much interested in water. The fish interest is natural but she loves running water, a tank of water
That is very interesting. I don't think I've ever met a cat that likes water. Most hate it. I have a very vivid memory of helping my grandmother give her cat a bath when it was a kitten....we got scratched many many times...(I have no idea why we tried to bathe the cat) 8O

Satsumas said:
I will be adding CO2 but yes that will come a little later.

You simply cannot add a lot of light and not CO2 and fertilizers and expect everything to be alright. You are not the first one to believe this.

please read thru the 'Resources and References' Sticky at the top of the forum, if you have not done so already. some very good information is contained in there.

By doing so, you are in for a very bad experience. A ride that has driven some away from the planted hobby for good. High light, no CO2, No ferts, = ALGAE and lots of it. I can list many threads on here that people have had this happen to, so please take this advise. don't just throw some lighting on you tank and just think about the othet stuff.

IMO, I would leave the 50/50 bulb installed until you can get the other parts of high light planted tank inplace.

HTH.

@JustOneMore20: I was thinking about the glass top just being a pane of glass which would be annoying as it wouldn't open up for feeding and the quick hand in tank maintenance. Hopefully there will be one like that dr foster & smith one available to me on e-bay, i'll have a look. That does look really good i have to say, once again just what i'm after!

Yes, young millie is rather strange, when the tank was half full she was balancing on the ledge, leaning over with her paws in the water. She sniff's it and has the occasional drink! ergh! Thanks again JustOneMore, :)

@ rkilling1: I understand that plants require CO2 and i have read that you will get an algae outburst if none is present. I have DIY CO2 in my other tank and it's only a matter of time before i get my hands on the next empty plastic bottle. I meant the CO2 would come after i have re-sealed the top corner, sorted out the substrate (not sure if i have enough yet) and got the cycling process going. So it'll be in a week or 2 :)

I plan to buy some 'weeds' or at least plants that grow like weeds first. So they take up all the nutrients needed for algae to grow, then i take some out when i buy the specific plant's i want, is this correct? Thanks :)

If you plant enough weeds and get your CO2 going, no need to cycle at all. Put a little filter media and gravel in from the other tank, add a lot of fast growing stems and stock the tank slowly. No cycle, animals from the start and you should be able to avoid some algae and GW problems.

just my thoughts.

I agree with rich...after my first tank, I haven't cycled a tank yet...just do it ^ that way.

Two tank brands, All-Glass and Perfecto, make the glass tops like that. So maybe if you search for the brands you will find some on Ebay. I don't know if All-Glass and Perfectos are sold in the UK...perhaps they are. :) They come in different lengths...of course they are to fit their tanks, but maybe the 36 inch one will fit your tank, if you can find one.

Oh right, I didn't know that. I use sand in my other tank so i can't really move that across, i think i'll put a rock or two in my established tank then move it over when the tank is ready.

Fast growing stem plants, do they have to be specifically stem plants? so vallis and cabomba are no no's?

I have found a glass cover which seems ok, tell me what you think? there's no picture which is annoying as i would like to see what i'm buying!... http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/aquarium_hoods_trays.asp#product76

The vallis and cabomba will be fine. Get wisteria and anacharis too if you can. Plant a lot of it. I understand not wanting to mix the sand in the new substrate. Just fill up a stocking with it and put that in the new tank you can remove it when you are ready too. The most important thing is some filter media, lots of plants and only a few fish too start.

My brother has some wisteria, so i may be allowed to borrow some! I've found a pretty good plant website which has a lot of stock so i'm sure i will be able to get some anacharis aswell.

Are there any other plants that i should put in first? what about hygro polysperma?

That sounds like a good way of using some sand, i'll give it a go.
Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom